1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pretty Boy Floyd to MMA?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Dec 21, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

One and done. He will have his ass handed to him like Hulk Hogan did Rocky Balboa.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

But if he's a success, could this be the penultimate nail in boxing's coffin?

I know people who are by no means fight fans, and they were crowded around the TV last week to watch the HBO replay of the bout.

4. Well, who knows. If he fights a real MMA fighter, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly. But don't be shocked if he ends up fighting an MMA fighter who really is nothing but a glorified boxer, just with MMA rules. Mayweather would likely still have the advantage. Put him in against someone who is more comfortable on the ground and knows submission moves and then I'll be interested.

5. Ain't happening. The money's just not there. The biggest payoff an MMA fighter has ever gotten for a single match is $3 million, and that was in the UFC, which is making money. That would represent about a 90 percent pay cut for Floyd, and he'd be fighting in a promotion that is bleeding money.

Unless Cuban is simply doing this as some sort of vanity project. In that case all bets are off ...

6. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

If he is serious he will realize pretty fast how limiting his boxing prowess is in the world of mma.

Article explaining mma striking vs boxing:
    http://www.insidefighting.com/betweenRoundsDisp.aspx?uid=3534

Draft saved Draft deleted