1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pressbox romance

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Dec 15, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

There are others....Mark Whicker & Robyn Norwood....Ralph Vacchiano & Kara Yorio...

Is it 'better' or easier when you're with someone in the business? I don't know, is it easier for doctors to marry doctors, or cops to marry cops?

Sportswriters aren't the only people with unruly and exotic schedules. You find someone who understands what you do, and treats you like an adult, and not a possession. You do your part and find ways to feed the relationship--it's a two-way deal. And you decide BEFORE you have kids how it's going to work.

btw, Susan Slusser is a cool lady who drops by this board (using her own name!).

And ps, I don't know Jim Carty, but congrats on the new baby!

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My wife is not in the business. When we were dating, her cousin was getting divorced from someone in the business and warned her: "Don't you believe that bullshit about working nights and weekends. He's just cheating on you." My now-wife said, "But I know he's at work." Her cousin said, "How do you know that?" My wife said, "Because when I call him at the office every night, he answers the phone."

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Gotta love call forwarding, eh Frank?

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

once you're married, if your spouse also works, moving isn't easy no matter what you do. that stuff needs to be settled between the two of you beforehand. if you work for a paper but not the one you want to be with for a loooong time, you're spous better be flexible on being able to find work anyplace. or else you're screwed.

marriage is hard no matter the biz. i'm a believer that the two right people can overcome anything. i'm just a romantic, i suppose.

5. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

mike freeman and kelly whiteside

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

kelly whiteside, i believe

and congrats jim

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

well-intentioned partners sometimes make mistakes - the less said the better about sportswriter groupies

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Dave Barry and Michelle Kaufman (Miami Herald)

9. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

my paper has at least four married couples in the newsroom. gannett is big on that.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Congrats Jim. Outstanding news :)

I've been married 16 years and when I was a writer, there was friction on a couple of fronts: moving to certain locales started a couple of epic disagreements; when I was a finalist for a job in the Bay Area, my wife flatly said she wasn't going because -- knowing she'd have to work -- she didn't want to have to drop everything and find a job again.

Fortunately for the state of marital "bliss," I didn't get the job.

The biggest problem came in the fact that she wanted to take a year off after our son was born and we simply couldn't do it on my meager salary. Plus, she (and I) both thought I'd be at a bigger, better-paying paper eventually. Didn't happen; I never made more than 37k in my 17 years in the biz.

After I went into PR, I was on the road more, but the times I wasn't, I was home nights and weekends. So, she's a bit more content, especially knowing how much I like what I'm doing compared to my last few years as a writer, when I was spinning my wheels.

I can definitely see the advantages to marrying/dating someone in the biz. There's a level of understanding as to the demands and lifestyle inherent in this that those who don't do it simply can't relate to.

And Moddy, love the dinner/work story. After phoning in quotes during my son's birthday dinner one year on a story, my wife and yours would get along well.

11. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

My boss is married to his boss, who has a work crush on her boss. All very amusing

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A work cush?

Draft saved Draft deleted