1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Press Box fights or screaming matches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jun 23, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

I have removed the offending tale because it offended one of the participants. That certainly wasn't the intent.

2. boots

boots New Member

I was there. Just missed the fight. Katz should've kicked Borges ass. Would have if he were in shape.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Nat Gottlieb was ready to kill Bob Klapisch one time.

Unfortunately, people got in the way.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Let me guess: Sept. 14, 1996, UL-L 29, A&M 22, at Lafayette.

5. boots

boots New Member

I was there for several episodes with Nat the rat. The best one was in Wrigley Field. Klapishch should've kicked his fuckin ass that day.

6. berklonius

berklonius New Member

On my first day at my first employer out of college, I was set to cover a Double A baseball game. The guy I was replacing wanted to come with me and introduce me to employees and players for said minor league team. I was cool with that, but after watching the outgoing reporter down four or five highly-concentrated mixed beverages in the span of 20 minutes while I was waiting for him to get ready, I wasn't sure what to expect but I figured there was high comedy potential awaiting me.

I was right about that. When I got to the game and into the press box, the intoxicated outgoing reporter starts teasing a reporter from a competing paper about 15 miles away. This other reporter, who had the reputation for being finicky, started whining and yelling as a response. In response, the reporter for my paper — who was supposed to be introducing me to people — started taking the other reporter's pens and throwing them out the press box window. I sat there dumbfounded by this display until the finicky reporter picked up my car keys, thinking they were the pen-thrower's, to toss them outside the window. At this point, I had to step in and calm the situation.

It's no Mariotti vs. Telander, but what really is?

7. rascalface

rascalface Member

Not a fight, but I was in the pressbox at an independent league baseball game when the home plate ump ejected the PA announcer. There was a meeting there after the game since the league commissioner (who owned all the teams) was in town, since his son was the closer for the home team.

Then there's the old story of how Ken "Hawk" Harrelson and Mariotti almost went at it after a game in Minnesota a few years ago. Now, Harrelson calls Mariotti a "heineybird" during broadcasts and Mariotti rips Harrelson at every opportunity in his column.

Speaking of Mariotti, I'm sure this has been posted before, but it's one of my favorites...
    http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2005/10/jay_mariottis_y.html

8. A heineybird?
    What's Harrelson, eight-years old?

9. rascalface

rascalface Member

"Hiney Bird" - a bird that flies in perfectly executed concentric circles until it flies up his own behind and disappears forever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Harrelson

I luuuuuv when you analyze, DJ.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nat used to get into with people on a regular basis .. one of the best was when he and Harvey Araton, good friends most of the time, almost went at in the press room at MSG over something really stupid.

I've seen writers and TV cameramen go at it, including one in the Knicks lockerroom the night the Knicks won the championship in LA in '73. A camera guy smacked Dave Klein of the Star-Ledger on the side of the head with his camera and they ended up on the floor wrestling.
    Willis Reed broke them up and Red Holzman threw the cameraman out of the lockerroom.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Old-timers in Cincy tell the story of when Norm Clarke of AP dropped Bob Hertzel with a punch. Norm wears an eye patch and apparently Hertzel, upset over something, called him a "one-eyed bastard."

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

IJ and Zack, both of whom I like, did not get along too well to say the least. I heard a tale once of a computer bag slung in a clubhouse or something.

Both out of the business now, I believe.

A TV guy and a Boston Globe guy got into it once in the Braves' clubhouse. Globe guy yelled something like, "Fuck you dick" and shoved the guy. Who fell into me. That pushed me - and I ain't small - right onto Greg Maddux. I have a camera indention on my head and I'm lying on a multiple Cy Young Award winner. Maddux was most gracious, seemed more concerned about me being OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted