1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Press Box fights or screaming matches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Was Katz still wearing his neck brace?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Not a press box melee ... but there was a scuffle once upon a time between Bill Parcells and Kevin Mannix from the Boston Herald.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The tape of Charlie Steiner going toe-to-toe with the Brit tennis writer at Wimbledon is pretty good.

4. There also was the time that George Kimball, in order to plug in the cigarette machine at a baseball game, unplugged Dick Young's machine, thereby vaporizing a month's worth of "Clubhouse Confidential."

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That was shown somewhere pretty recently, Armchair, and you're right, it's funny stuff.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wasn't there myself, but at a paper I used to work at, a scuffle between a writer and his editor in the press box at the state high school track meet is legendary.

7. Wow! I've never heard about that one. What happened there?

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Don't know the particulars, Game. Have only heard anecdotal evidence. Apparently it was in the cafeteria at the old Foxboro Stadium, but someone else will have to fill in more accurate details.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Had two:
    One with a cameraman from WBNS on Earle Bruce's last game that was ashouting match.
    The other was a legendary match with a newsside TV Geekette from Detroit the day that Bill Frieder bolted to Arizona State. Michigan thusly inspired won the NCAA title.
    Once she said "We need our pictures, we're television" I sort of snapped and started yelling. Last conscious moment before I went off was Michigan SID Bruce Madej spinning on his heel to me and feebly saying "Slappy! Don't!"
    I know there were comments about her finding campus, the blue dress she was wearing and questioning her lineage.. other than that it was a blur....

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

witnessed one and heard about another. Was covering a hs fb game years ago when the PA guy went over and punched the visiting radio announcer. Good times.

And I've heard that Bill Zack and I.J. Rosenberg went to fisticuffs into a fight over who was sitting where at the Astrodome on opening day, like 1993.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Was it a raspberry beret, the kind you find in a secondhand store?? ;)

12. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

This was in 2004, I think...my pal Joe McDonald was making his first Red Sox road trip for the Projo, this stop was in Cleveland...some local radio reporter starts ripping on another of the Sox writers, then pulls the name of the Projo out of mid air to use as an insult...Joey gets incensed, fires back at the guy, and the two keep at it, somehow carrying it over into the press box latrine...A star is born....

Draft saved Draft deleted