1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Press Box Attire - College Football

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JM22720, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

qed?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Curious about the "Comfortable" vs "Uncomfortable" debate. Or maybe we reframe it as the "Casual" vs Dress-up" debate.

Is it really a question of physical comfort? Or is it a kind of self-consciousness, based on culture or class or politics?

In most circumstances being "dressed up" is no more physically uncomfortable than being dressed casually.

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Have you worn high heels?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Disagree. Suits are too confining. More so when you button the top button of your shirt and wrap a tie snugly around your neck. I've had a pair of black Church's wing tips for about 30 years and resoled them about three times. Most comfortable dress shoes I've ever worn, but they're still not as comfortable as sneakers or casual shoes.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Only socially. For work I prefer a sensible mid-heel pump.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I find that not to be the case for me these days. The collar doesn't pinch and the jacket doesn't restrict. Not sure why or how. Maybe that my clothes fit poorly or that I just don't move as much as I used to.

Certainly on the flight home - tie loosened, jacket neatly stowed - there's no difference between a suit and a simple slack/shirt combo.

I would have agreed on the shoes until I found the Allen Edmonds LGA line. Camouflaged walking shoes. Not the most beautiful wingtips you've ever seen, but certainly the most comfortable, and completely passable for dress wear.

7. cranberry

I like to be ready for a spontaneous basketball game.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

He's got next.
    [​IMG]

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I’ve begin using The Tie Bar.com to buy all my shirts and ties. 3 for $140 on really nice, trim fit shirts that stay tucked in, and a huge selection of ties for $20 or so apiece. Getting dressed up every day is actually kind of fun.

I’m a T-shirt and shorts/jeans guy on the weekends, though.

10. cranberry

They have a retail shop on Madison, around the corner from my office, but I haven't been in the store yet. I always like the ties on display.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I went a while back. Rarely wear ties anymore but I bought a couple anyway. A kid I work with started an Instagram page about fashion and worked out some deal with them, so he hooked me up with some free stuff. Love their stuff.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

cheap-neckties dot com is pretty terrific likewise.

Draft saved Draft deleted