1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presidential Counter Programming: GOP Debate or NFL Opening Night

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 31, 2011.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Remember when we were meant to respect the office of the presidency, even if we didn't like the occupant?

Whatever did happen to that?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't care if I'm the vice president or the president's husband or something, I'm skipping a speech for the NFL opener.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I believe it's still a legendary story in Cleveland how the mayor's wife blew off a White House invitation (I believe it was sent by Pat Nixon, not Richard) because it was her bowling night. (By the way, before we get DEMOCRATS DO IT, TOO!!!!!!!, the mayor was a Republican.)

The mayor was Ralph Perk, also still legendary for lighting his hair on fire while operating a welding torch at a mayoral visit.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Bob, thank you, thank you, thank you for posting that picture! God, I needed a laugh, and you provided one!

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I'd heard the "bowling night" story, but I have never seen that picture or heard the story behind it.

It's fucking brilliant. The look on his face is priceless.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

NFL pregame: Kid Rock sounds like he's singing "I'm 43." instead of "I was born to be free."

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

1. At some point, it became politically advantageous to disrespect the office of the President. It doesn't matter how unpopular a Rep or Senator is nationally as long as he is sufficiently popular within his/her own constituency to get re-elected. Hell, a rep from South Carolina shouted "You Lie!" at the President during a speech, used it to raise prodigious amounts of money and won his next election easily.

2. When the current President doesn't stick to his guns and lets the opposition party walk all over him, why are you surprised that they disrespect him publicly?

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Great. Fantastic. Where was all this on inauguration day 2008?

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Ask George W. Bush

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Oh, please. When did Dems ever yell out at him while he was lying his ass off up there about how we needed to be in Iraq over some ficitious weapons of mass destruction? And how many Dems ever talked about boycotting his speech?

And poor fucking David Vitter. He has to change his party plans and put in a little overtime instead of being with family and friends. Welcome to the rest of America, David.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, it was his supporters who were always telling us to respect the office. But then I suppose it is a bit fanciful to expect Republicans to lead by example. I can't even type that sentence with a straight face.

Draft saved Draft deleted