1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presidential candidate rips media for celebrity fixation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

AMES, Iowa (AP) -- Presidential candidate Mike Huckabee criticized the news media Wednesday for being more interested in Britney Spears and Paris Hilton than in the nation's next leader.

Asked how he could break out of a pack of Republican candidates considered in the second tier behind a trio of front-runners, Huckabee complained about a lack of media attention.

"One of the frustrations is that there is more attention on Britney Spears getting out of a car without underwear than there is about who is going to be the next president," said Huckabee. "That is something that we as candidates don't control."

Huckabee, the former governor of Arkansas, met with reporters after touring a high-tech bioscience company in Ames. He acknowledged frustration that an inordinate amount of attention was given to leading GOP candidates Rudy Giuliani, John McCain and Mitt Romney.

What could he do to get in the media spotlight?

"Accompanying Paris Hilton to jail might work," said Huckabee.

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2007/06/14/news/latest_news/6a5db6763b36adc1862572fa00498bbf.txt

I wonder if part of this is because we're still more than one year away from the election. But sometimes I think Hilton going to jail would get as much coverage even one week before the 2008 election.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He's got a point.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If he really wanted attention, he could get out of a car in a short skirt with no underwear. Gotta pay the cost to be the boss.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

But Doc, what if Hillary did it? :-X

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You'd see her johnson.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Al Gore just wrote a whole book about this.

Of course, I'm sure the media will rip him for being too "professorial"

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I bet they won't.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That, or some people would dig up a quote from 1992 and call him a hypocrite.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be fair to the media, Britney Spears and Paris Hilton are more interesting than Mike Huckabee.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Only in the sense than an 18-car pile-up is more interesting than a car doing laps in an empty parking lot.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And better looking too. . .

12. I bet they already have.
    And, anyway, this is the same Mike Huckabee who got big laughs about "John Edwards at a beauty parlor" in the last debate now criticizing the media for concentrating on trivialities. Go back to hating on Darwin, you sectarian foof.

Draft saved Draft deleted