1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Also, Jezebel fucking sucks. Sometimes the people who think they are doing the most for a cause are actually doing untold damage to it.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yeah. They are a vocal part of the left.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

What about the market nosedive yesterday? You don’t think the Fed is to blame?

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I am a communist by American standards, and even I am tired of some of the left's stupidity.

My little town is in the middle of its own bathroom debate at the moment. Not which bathroom trans people should use—but whether trans people should have their own public bathroom. There is, as far as I know, two trans people in town, both women. It doesn't make any economic sense to build them their own bathroom.

I have Crohn's disease. You know what I wouldn't give for a private toilet with a fan that would power a jet? If anybody should get their own bathroom, it's people with fucking IBD.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Sorry about the Chrohn's. I used to work with a guy who had it. Brutal.

The left raises too many things to "11", to use a Spinal Tap reference, and the bathroom is a perfect example. It was so front and center about five years ago, and it just couldn't move the needle in my give a fuck meter.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The left has 30% and this includes the progressive and Sandersism block. The Right has 35%, including the Klan/Nazi Block and the Anti-Abortion and 2nd Amendment only wing. The middle ‘looks’ more like the right than the left. Insulting the middle,even unintentionally , is no way to win. Factoring in the electoral college which can produce minority governments for another generation in both the Senate and Presidential elections, the left needs to be more tolerant and understanding of the middle. THe middle whose issues are conservative economic and social liberal. With health care being a mixture of both economic and social.

Perception is what matters. From the middle it looks like the right says the right things, but its a lie. The left says the wrong the things, and its true. If I’m not going to get laid, at least give me the hope I will.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nope. Obama.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    garrow likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is a broad question. First, this isn't just the Fed. It has been EVERY major central bank in the world for the last decade.

But just in the case of the Fed, they have kept their overnight rate hundreds of basis points below the neutral rate, wherever that is, for a decade. It's unprecedented. At the same time, they bought more than $4 trillion of treasuries and agency mortgage securities with money they created out of thin air. They blew giant asset price bubbles -- did it intentionally. So if you are going to look at one day in equity trading in the U.S., as you just did, and suggest they are to "blame," my question is, were they to "blame" when they blew a giant leveraged bubble in asset prices, a magnitude greater than what you saw on yesterday's pullback? And if you are on board with that, are you suggesting that we should go to Soviet-style price administration of interest rates permanently, because that is a formula to make the stock market go up forever to infinity (and that kind of thing never ends badly, does it?)?

Also. ... The idiot in the oval office keeps patting himself on the back, telling everyone what a great economy he's created. Economic growth off the charts. Full employment. It's nonsense. To the extent we have seen anything since he's been elected that was fiscal and not being driven monetarily by central banks, we have gotten a sugar high from a massive tax cut and a bigger than ever budget deficit, so some corporate cash got repatriated and a little bit of spending got pulled forward -- to the extent there was any actual investment and not stock buybacks and dividend raises. It's not sustainable, and in fact, there is going to be a pretty heavy price to pay for it. But fine, I'll buy the bullshit. .... but then you can't turn around and tell me that a well-advertised 25 basis point hike in the overnight rate by the Federal Reserve, which was nothing -- and short-term rates are still hundreds of basis points too low -- is enough to sink the stock market in the face of such a wonderful economy, which surely means earnings growth off the charts. So my question would be, "Which is it?"

EDIT: The answer is, yes, btw. ... the Fed is to blame. But they were to blame in 2009 and for the following decade. What they are dealing with now is the consequence. What is coming down the pike won't be because of their feeble attempts to raise the Fed Funds rate in the face of whatever faux inflation measure they use. And it won't be their inept attempt to unwind their the balance sheet (barely making a dent because they they are doing it slower than a snail runs), which was the biggest leverage and liquidity experiment in history -- and blew asset prices to ridiculous valuations. The only way out of the mess they created for themselves is to choke off liquidity from markets. Guess what happens when liquidity dries up in a bubbled up market for assets? It's not just be a stock market story. It has very severe implications for the overall economy, unfortunately.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. heyabbott

You are completely missing the point of tRump. Well, he doesn’t have one besides personal enrichment. But you are completely missing the point of his support.
    Look at his rallies. Do they look like they spend a lot of time strolling through Bed Bath and Beyond? Their ’white person’s struggle’ is called middle and lower class life in America. Their lives and not appreciablybetter than their parents and their kids look to be appreciably worse. They harbor their own bias and prejudices like ny one else. But they dont care about blacks and Hispanics. They are worried about themselves. Again, they dont see privilege in their lives. Same schools as they went to, same job opportunities and shrinking. Staganation would be welcome, they are falling out of the boat

Take the supporters of tRump at 80% of face value. They are scared. They are scared for their future and their families’ futures. If 2 people fell out of a boat and you could only save one, would you save your daughter or a stranger? It doesn’t matter whether the stranger is black or not. These people dont see beyond their self interest because no one cares about them. They are struggling and they see blacks and Hispanics demanding what they have and they perceive it to be to their exclusion.
    The left needs to acknowledge that the middle is not privileged and all they want is to be part of America. It’s the hard right and conservative economics that wants exclusion and to keep the middle down.

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pushing the stranger out of the boat isn't really an answer, either.

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was the left that tried to ban trans people from using certain restrooms.

12. heyabbott

There are enough people in the middle to defeat the tRump Nazis who dont push people out of the boat to win and keep winning. But they dont want to be told that they are pushing people out of the boat when they are not.

Blacks and Hispanics share economic anxiety with the solid White and Asian middle. But after 40 years of being told they are the problem and not worthy of a solution they are tired. The left doesn’t present a unified andunifiyingmessage.

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.