1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Federal court is not my world. ... But a pissed off judge says, "Get your client in here on Monday at such and such time, and he had better be prepared to tell me the names of his clients (you know, the hundreds -- or was it thousands? -- of clients you have told the court this is going to violate attorney-client privilege for). . ... and they write a letter back saying, "He has only two clients other than Trump, and we ain't telling you the name of one of them." How is that going to go over?

lakefront likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Now this is some top shelf trolling.

lakefront likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A federal judge is unlikely to cotton to the notion the Department of Justice is biased against the poor, persecuted President of the United States, especially when the complaint is against his own appointees.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No. They’re anti-abortion. Pro-fetus would entail pro-prenatal care.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's not going to go over well, but I think Cohen's attorneys are right that he cannot be forced to reveal the client's identity without the client's permission to do so.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The difficulty is claiming attorney-client privilege for an unknown person is that it's an unverifiable claim. If the client is anonymous, he/she/it might also be fictitious.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Huh! Never knew pro-lifers had a thing against prenatal care. Learn something new every day.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, to the non-lawyer me. ... The optics are still fantastic. I mean, nothing quite says mob lawyer better than, "Mr. Cohen's client, um, doesn't want anyone to know that Michael Cohen represents him!"

Maybe Cohen's law partner can make the argument for him. ...

[​IMG]

franticscribe likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Would the crime/fraud exception apply?

lakefront likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Was in an area of town I'm rarely in yesterday morning and a billboard for a strip club caught my eye. Turns out Ms. Daniels will be appearing at a strip club near me in just a couple of weeks! Now as to why I'd pay a cover charge to see her given how ... ahem ... much of her I can see for free online ...

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Might be. But attorney-client privilege is an incredibly powerful doctrine and has been found to extend to the mere existence of a relationship.

Ultimately, though, if what Cohen's attorneys get what they're asking for - a neutral special master to review the seized material who can identify/withhold privileged material - whether or not this claim is fictitious will come out. Also the person's identity will likely come out as a result, too, since in the letter the attorneys acknowledge that some of the material related to that client is responsive to the government's search.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.