1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Good fathers sometimes raise shit sons. Every time Franklin opens his mouth he shames his father, who, as religious fanatics go, was probably the most likeable and not nearly in love with himself as a Jim Bakker or Jerry Falwell.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit? They've botched the rollout of the vaccine and it won't get better before next Wednesday when the adults take over.

3. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Touche...you're right @hondo .

Fred siegle likes this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Of all the Bible-thumpers out there, Franklin Graham chaps my ass as much as any of them. He dropped out of high school, got kicked out of his college but at some point in his 20s realized he was going to be the heir to the Billy Graham brand and ran with it, except for all the positive parts of Billy Graham's ministry. Though Billy had backwards views on women and gays that would have been typical for his time and station and a tendency to suck up to power, I think it would be a fair description to say his focus was more on the spiritual than the political, whereas it seems like the kid decided to fill an empty pulpit with as many right-wing Evangelical tropes as he could get his hands on, but because of the last name his bigotry gets a much fairer hearing.

The Republican Party has ceased to be a conservative party, mostly because Donald Trump doesn't know what conservatism is, nor does most of their base. Paul Ryan was the last true believer in the Republican Party but he walked because he learned the hard way that the Venn diagram of people who are smart enough to understand shit like the Laffer curve and Hayek and Keynes and such and the people who actually buy it is miniscule. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the core of Trump's appeal to the Republican base is his ability and willingness to punish their enemies, the people who are getting laid more often than them, make them feel stupid for owning guns or call them racist for opposing Black Lives Matter because their neighborhood cop is friendly. The problem that the last two weeks has exposed is that if the Republicans can't or won't punish their base's enemies, said base considers them just as useless as the Democrats. What is particularly scary for the GOP is that those base people can't win an election by themselves in 3/4ths of the country and gap between them and the center-right voters that cost them the last election is growing rapidly.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It took that long to realize the attack was bad?

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Fuck that Nazi Lindell, but is anyone else tired of the pillow angle?

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'll have to sleep on that one.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It’s a statement about our divided country and personal news streams, but as big a story the Capitol attack is, it should be bigger.

It should be on a 9/11 scale but it doesn’t feel that way. Domestic terrorists attacked the Capitol with intent to capture or kill top elected officials of our government at the urging of the fucking president. And were minutes away of getting it done.

We are so desensitized to this because of the tidal wave of bullshit that has crashed on our heads every day for four-plus years.

Anyone who breached the Capitol and those who riled up the mob need to face severe legal punishment.

I can’t really express how angry and sad this has made me.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.