1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If you hold it, people will come, Ray. The motivation is definitely there, either to throw the bums out or keep them in.

Despite pulling every trick in the book to suppress voting in Texas, 8.5 million Texans have already cast their ballots for 2020, according to the U.S. Elections Project this morning -- with Election Day still four days away. That's 95 percent of the entire state's 2016 total of 8.9 million.

California's up to 9 million (compared to 14 million who voted in 2016). Florida's at 7.3 million (9.4 in 2016) and 52 percent of all registered voters. Georgia's already up to 3.4 million, which is 48.9 percent of all registered voters. When I turned in our two ballots on Wednesday, at least 12 people were in line to vote in person, including two 20-somethings getting their first taste of democracy (9,766 of 20,038 registered voters have already voted in a blood red county).

Again, maybe it's COVID. Maybe it's the gradual transition of voter preferences. But unless local precincts are a ghost town on Tuesday, we're looking at a massive total.

More than 82 million ballots are already in across the U.S., not counting ones expected to be received today, Monday or Voting Day (and postmarked in time): 28-plus million in-person votes and 53-plus million mail-in votes. The entire total for the 2016 election was 136.6 million.

Traditionally, bigger turnouts favor Democrats, because more voters are registered Democrat than Republican. We'll just have to wait and see how things shake out. As an American, I'm enthused because voter apathy seems almost non-existent. You either love or hate where the country is right now. There is a "desperation" (from a story I quoted earlier) to this election that I can't remember before.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It is the Friday before the election. Unless he has pictures of Biden playing 18 last week with Osama, Obama and AOC, nothing is going to seep out from the Fox News Cinematic Universe to reach any undecided voters.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I actually think that was the point of trying to float this bullshit story now. Do it so close to the election that it can't be debunked before people vote.

To be clear, I wouldn't be surprised at all by Hunter Biden being involved in something shady. I just don't see how that makes Joe Biden unfit to be president.

OscarMadison and wicked like this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No, through THREE administrations now, the policy has been to sell F-35s to our allies if we can, both to subsidize its enormous (and growing still) cost and to standardize equipment in the event of conflict. Last time there was joint allied air force operations was Persian Gulf War in '91 and the varied forms of aircraft (mostly US-made) was a headache.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Demented Donnie at 2:57am. Yeah, it’s definitely a choice between 2 evils.

TowelWaver and Driftwood like this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

9. heyabbott

In what universe could hunter equal the shadowy Shady shit Of Jared Vanky, Jr and Eric?

OscarMadison, HanSenSE and Mngwa like this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If I've read the numbers correctly, early voting closed in Tennessee with more than 2 million ballots already cast. There were only 2.5 million in the 2016 election. The state is still going to Trump, but I find the early turnout interesting.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

In Tennessee, having or fear of COVID was not an authorized reason to get an absentee ballot, but the state is setting up special COVID-positive voting locations on election day.
    Seriously?

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. heyabbott

Now why would the Tennessee peckerwoods suddenly be conscious of aVirus they have ignored for 7 months?

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.