1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wait until the Islamic religious schools start requesting federal funding.

SHARIA LAW!!!!!!

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The Satanists will start a school just so they can apply for it.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I hear Devin's Cow got booted from Parler.

Freedom of Speech!11!!!

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea WTF Rand Paul is thinking half the time, so who knows? But I lump this in with what has taken hold in this country, where people insist on elevating opinion and belief over expertise and facts.

That kind of statement seems to appeal to this righteous indignation people have where they refuse to use reason about things and instead they automatically default to, "How dare that so-called expert tell me what to do."

They make it about the person instead of the expertise the person has that the rest of us don't. And that is where Paul, who fancies himself an educated man, should be ashamed of himself. It's not about the "experts." This isn't personal. It's about the expertise they give us. If someone factually knows something, and they have the ability to offer evidence-based actions that might benefit all of us, you are a freaking moron if you dismiss the person without at least evaluating what they have to say on its merits, using reason.

But not in this nation of idiots.

OscarMadison and FileNotFound like this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When an incumbent runs on "law & order" you know he's in deep trouble.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This is only partially right. The law cannot be SPECIFICALLY for religious purposes. If the law is written to help schools (public or private) there's no violation of Lemon. It isn't encouraging religion because the students already go there; the school is taking advantage of a program available to other schools. Same for the entanglement.

And this precedent directly applies to the case.

Everson v. Board of Education

(Sorry, fixed the link title)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I believe in our Constitution (and Bill of Rights) wholeheartedly; its the best establishment of a government in the world. I believe in the First Amendment, including the separation of state and church, as a bedrock of our country, especially as an atheist.

From my POV, without reading the specific briefing and lower court rulings, I believe that there is an avenue available for the religious schools to get govt. funding, same as public schools. We cannot discriminate against religious schools simply because of the content of what they teach or don't teach. That's at the heart of the First Amendment as well.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wow!!! George Conway has more influence in the house???

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  9. Spartan Squad

This doesn't violate church and state. The state cannot put in policies that help or hurt religion. Money was being given to private schools except those with religious affiliations. You are therefor hurting religion because if money is being denied only because you are religious, you are giving a leg up to other private schools. If this was a law that said only public schools can receive money, that would be a different story. However, they allowed nonpublic schools to receive money. Their hearts were in the right place to not get entangled, but you are in the clear if you are helping everyone and not specifically religion.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Ms. McGrath wins the Dem primary to challenge Moscow Mitch in Kentucky. I wasn't sure that her challenger, State Rep. Booker, could take down Moscow Mitch. I think Ms. McGrath, with a compelling personal history and solid credentials could win.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  11. Spartan Squad

There is a Supreme Court case that indirectly deals with that. A school banned student clubs that were religious in nature because it was afraid of a Satanist club being formed. The Court ruled that was a violation of the First Amendment. So long as student clubs have no direct help from the school that can even give the whiff of endorsement, students can have the clubs. Even if there is a Satanist club.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

SCIENTOLOGY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.