1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Unmasked and Furious

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If he loses, that will be one of the most reproduced images of his presidency. Really stupid on his part. I don't think I have ever seen a president with an untied necktie draped over his shoulder. Terrible optics. If he has any advisors, they're either really stupid or he ignores them.
    Wait. Both things are true.

HanSenSE, Fred siegle and Driftwood like this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There's something very <pretending to feel the fiber of a shirt between fingers> down to earth about John Bolton.

Definitely a guy you drink scotch with till closing time.

But
 I
 ended
 the Administration’s 
first
 hundred
 days 
secure
 in
 my
 own
 mind
 about
 what
 I was 
prepared 
to
 do 
and 
what 
I
 wasn’t.
 After 
all,
 as
 Cato
 the
Younger 
says 
in one
 of
 George Washington’s 
favorite
 lines 
from
 his
 favorite
 play,
 “When vice
 prevails,
 and
 impious 
men
 bear
s way,
 the
 honor
 is
 a
 private station.” Life
 under
 Trump,
 however,
 did
 not
 resemble
 life
 in
 Joseph
 Addison’s eponymous
 Cato,
 where
 the
 hero
 strove
 to
 defend
 the
 failing
 Roman Republic 
against
 Julius
 Caesar.
 Instead,
 the
 new
 Administration 
resembled much
 more
 closely
 the
 Eagles 
song
 “Hotel
 California”: 
“You
 can
 check
 out any
 time
 you
/
But
you
can
 never 
leave.”

4. tapintoamerica

Doubt it. That's why the campaign set up the outdoor overflow area and vowed Trump and Pence would hold a second show for them. They advertised a chance to "see President Trump in person" even if they couldn't get in to the main event. In theory, the outdoor event should have been more attractive because it afforded the chance to pay homage in a theoretically less contagious environment. Nobody bothered. We witnessed the true demand.
    Can't wait to see the traveling Nazi circus show up in Arizona and North Carolina as he promised.

qtlaw and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As an aside, it always makes me chuckle thinking about how the goalposts used to be on the goal line. I keep thinking of all the ways that the posts would get in the way.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fatfuck is incensed again.

yawn

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Also has a show that's syndicated to several soft rock stations. The anti-Seacrest, so to speak. And he uses "Roundball Rock" as his theme, after which the show goes downhill.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think actually it was about the time of this picture (1963-64??) that the NFL first mandated offset goalposts a yard or so behind the goal line.

individual teams had already been building offset goalposts of differing design since the 1940s (some of the early ones look really really weird) but there was no leaguewide requirement, and some teams still had goalposts on the goal line, so of course some teams did use goalposts as extra blockers on some inches-to-go situations - just run the running back right off the edge of the goalpost.

Although the rules used to specify that a punting team could request the ball placed on a hashmark to avoid hitting the goalpost on punts out of the end zone, once every season or so there would be a bad snap or something and a punter would end up booting it off the goalpost in his own end zone for a safety.

It was also a safety if a forward pass thrown from the end zone hit a goal post, but in the 1960s-70s it was astonishingly rare for teams to throw out of the end zone (or really anywhere inside their own 20).

I'm pretty sure Super Bowl I in the Coliseum used old style offset goalposts.

Then in 1968, the NFL adopted the now universal slingshot goalposts. And in 1974, the goal posts were moved to the end lines anyway so it all became moot.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

This groveling is just so embarrassing! Pathetic!

10. tapintoamerica

Yesterday's 4.2 earthquake was the strongest in the contiguous 48 United States east of Idaho in at least the past month. Strongest in Oklahoma in 13 months.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Only if his brother, Dave, joins him on stage.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Wow. What a pathetic display by Sessions.

I mean sure - it’s no Ted Cruz “feel free to say whatever you’d like about my wife” - but damn.

That’s some abused-spouse “I know he loves me; he just has so much going on, so I understand why he beats me” shit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.