1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Whether he's for Trump or Biden. ... that time he tried to hail a cab at 38th and Madison in the middle of the day, and 17 empty cabs cruised right by him? Trust me, he was pretty black that day.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Cue the other place going on about how we ignored this even though it has been posted three times on this thread, the first of them by me.

You knew Biden was going to stick his foot in his mouth at some point in the campaign. Given his history, it was inevitable. It's also the excuse some idiots will use to vote for President Trump.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Biden mangling and putting his foot in his mouth was always going to be part of the deal. Baked in the cake. With all the awful stuff going on right now, it’s really tough to get worked up about it.

I saw Biden’s interview on Colbert last night. No idea if it was edited, or how much, or if the campaign had control over the final product.

The interview was fine. He’ll be fine if elected.

Slacker and OscarMadison like this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So our choice is between "you ain't black" and "what do you have to lose." Ah, politics.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I can kind of get what Biden was going for with that comment, but he didn't pull it off. And Charlamagne Tha God can be a little aggressive in his interviewing style, so that opens the door easily for Biden to trip over himself because he gets fired up.

Biden's overall record might be spotty on things like crime, but he seems to be aware of that. The issues the majority of black voters seem to care about - recognizing that they're not a monolith and that different people have different concerns in different areas of the country - are far more likely to be addressed under Biden than Term 2 of the Trumpocalypse.

I do wish he'd stop pointing out his popularity with the black vote, because I think that's an assumption. Yes, he had a much stronger base there to start out with and did well in the primaries with that voter bloc (South Carolina, for one). But nothing should be a guarantee in this day and age. You have to keep working, keep showing people you've got their back.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’m not the one worked up about it. I’ll still be voting for him. I voted for Hilary too.

This is more about Biden acting like a scolded embarrassment on the matter of race. Compared to Trump? He has nothing to feel bad about, and this election - getting Trump out - is way too important to haggle over crime bills from 30 years ago and bussing initiatives from 45 years ago.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I only saw your first post, and thought it odd that a dozen other posts and a couple of hours had passed without anyone talking about it. Seems like it's one of the bigger political stories of the day so far.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Though, I didn’t say you were worked up about it.

Alma likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am not saying this to criticize Batman in the slightest, but to me, his statement Biden's comment was "one of the bigger political stories of the day" was very revealing about this board. We are different. We've been trained to think in terms of the big story of the day. But an overwhelming majority of voters, surely way more than 90 percent, don't think about politics that way at all. It takes endless repetition of TV commercials just to get a candidate for non-Presidential office's name recognition up to 30 percent.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or sexual assault allegations from 30 years ago, apparently.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

totally out of line that wasn't even his african-american

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.