1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That went right past me. ?

2. Neutral Corner

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Ford.jpg

Bloody hell, took me only five times for this image to post.
    The clever take of this famous front page makes me love the NYDN all over again.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That "fjord" is a brilliant headline. I keep wondering what the real story is. Did Trump think Graceland? Is this what he think the Green New Deal is all about?

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They do like playing this card.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Usually it's something he's seen on Fox News, but no one has come forward with the connection yet, which is odd, because whenever something likethis happens, it becomes clear why he is randomly bringing up a topic

8. Neutral Corner

So I was piddling around on Youtube this week and a clip from "The West Wing" came up. I watched several, and they were as good as ever, but somehow watching Aaron Sorkin's idealized version of a decent and ethical White House was disconcerting and painful given the current reality. Since I'd been watching "West Wing" I also started getting clips from Sorkin's "The Newsroom", which I had seen a few of but never really got into. I kept seeing really good stuff, laughing aloud, enjoying it, so tonight my wife and I binged the first three episodes.

First off, yeah, it's the idealized Aaron Sorkin version of a network newsroom, sure it is. Second off, it's really well written and the cast and acting is strong. It's a solid show. What really struck me, though, was how prescient this show is about what was happening in politics at the time. The Tea Party running from the right and beating long time solid and smart Congressmen with "I'll never vote to raise the debt limit!", etc.

On the one hand it gives me hope. It states in clear language that there *isn't* always two sides to a story. Sometimes one side is wrong, or willfully stupid, or more concerned with their polling numbers than they are in doing what is right or what is clearly the better choice based on facts and science. And yes, politically much of it is in my personal wheelhouse, and I won't pretend that it isn't. On the other hand, it makes me look at news coverage today. what news they have to cover, and the degree to which the sort of news reporting that I grew up with is as dead as the dinosaurs.

If you've got HBO Now and you weren't a fan the first go round, give it a try. I can't count the number of times that our eyes met as we watched tonight, and we nodded or winced or shook our heads. It's a damn good show so far.

ChrisLong and heyabbott like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I used to watch WW episodes almost every day. Haven't watched one in almost three years.

Sorkin, no stranger to exaggeration and hyperbole, was upfront about the fact they usually bent over sideways to depict Republicans as reasonable, level-headed and usually ethical. They knew they'd be torched to the moon by critics if they didn't.

There was no mistaking they were the "adversary" and would usually bend the borders of the rules, but they were never depicted as reckless nihilistic vandals and traitors.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

By all means, watch The Newsroom. It's one of my all-time favorites. The first five minutes of the show was more than enough to get me hooked.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.