1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What is the "number" Biden needs to hit for first fundraising? Bernie already has $18m and I figure he'll be over $20 with the Biden push. $25 mil? And I'm fairly certain at least one candidate is going to get dinged for funneling corporate and PAC money into "individual donations." This race is too big for the lobbyists and others hoping to influence the next occupant of the WH to be on the sidelines.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"President Trump has decided, for the third year in a row, to skip the White House correspondents dinner. Turns out it conflicts with an appointment he had with a dermatologist. The doctor specializes in treating patients with very thin, orange skin."

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Imagine being a little kid and having this fuckin guy for your father.
    Imagine being married to the guy.
    Imagine having to tell people he's your son, and that, yes, you 'raised' him.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The Terribly Tiny God of MAGA Christians

If you’re going to have a God, it may as well be right-sized. The world deserves this.

People deserve a God who is bigger than Franklin Graham’s and Mike Pence’s and Sarah Sander’s and Jerry Falwell’s and the GOP’s God. Their God is small and terrified—and it suspiciously resembles them.

People deserve a God who so loves the world, not a God who thinks America First; whose creation begin without divides and borders and walls, because there is only a single, interdependent community.

People deserve a God who touched the leper and healed the sick and fed the starving and parted the seas and raised the dead—not a quivering idol who builds walls and drafts bathroom bills and social media crusades against migrant families.

People deserve a God who is neither white nor male nor cisgender-heterosexual, nor Republican—because any other God isn’t big enough to bear the title or merit any reverence.

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2019/04/1...UpzfYu5gIqfuruw0EJgaTETUyaWAmwHG9_ElNjAssvJ7c

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Let’s break down this tweet:

“To avoid looking uncool, please co-sign my view of the matter.”

In other words, virtue-signaling.

Don’t ask the obvious question - what about terroitsts voting, or Dylann Roof voting - because that wouldn’t fit AOC’s idea of what the issue should be.

On the flip side of the coin, we could examine the abortion issue from the women who simply don’t want a child, or we could examine it from the rare cases of rape and incest. Guess which angle pro-choice advocates tend to use?

Which is fine. That’s part of how we make policy. We consider the extremes. We consider the Boston Marathon bomber.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I noticed with her questioning bank execs on the financial services oversight committee. ... she did the same kinds of the false equivalencies / conflating unrelated things and then acting like she's outwitted the world. She comes on so strong, too, that if you point out the ridiculously strained logic, she tries to turn it into you favoring something she wants to demonize. For example, I will point out something about her tweet below, and I strongly suspect her response would be, "He wants to lock people up for carrying dime bags of weed and take away their votes. He's a nazi."

But here is thing. If you have a problem with people being in prison for carrying a dime bag of weed, then address that specificially. Work to get those laws changed (she can have very little effect on that as a Congressperson, but at the state levels if that was a priority, it could be done). But that has nothing to do with whether convicts should be allowed to vote, which is completely unrelated. As it stands, we have those kinds of drug laws. If you don't like the criminal code as it exists, let's talk about those laws. Let's not conflate unrelated things.

I personally believe that being convicted of a crime should not disenfrichise someone, so this isn't about me being in favor of disenfranchising a pot smoker. I actually believe that everyone having a vote is the key to a representative democracy, and I think that voting should be an absolutel right. That said, if we are going to disenfranchise people for that reason because most people don't agree with me, being convicted of a felony is going to be the standard. If you don't like some felony laws, then deal with that.

bigpern23 and daemon like this.
  8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I mean there's no logical reason this has to be true (nor is it true for 100% of states, thanks to Maine and Vermont). There's no real reason the standard couldn't be, as an example, that everyone can vote unless they've been convicted of terrorism or treason. (So I don't find her point all that spurious)

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Should the prison population be counted in the census?

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Trump Doubles Down on ‘Very Fine People on Both Sides’ Remark Featured in Biden Announcement Video

what virtue signaling and scoring cool points might look like

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I enjoy how "virtue signaling" is an insult only lobbed at those on the left, as if folks in MAGA caps aren't doing the same.

garrow and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.