1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

So your position is that those people are anti-Palestinian in the same way that those who question Israel are anti-Semites? Or is your position that people can have geopolitical opinions that counter a nation-state's official policy without harboring a hatred toward/prejudice against that nation's people?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agreed.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The latter.

Not every criticism of Israel's political conduct is anti-Semitism.

heyabbott likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm just now watching the lowlights of Trump's speech last night. That bit about Northam wanting to allow people to execute babies after birth was amazing. That shit gives more support to the idea he's sundowning than Hillary stumbling ever did to the MS story.

Also, too, his lies about the Green New Deal might actually help people come around to supporting it. Once they see what's actually in it and realize it's not as drastic as Trump says, they'll be more open to it.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Green New Deal is not really a whole lot different than the climate change proposals in both the 2008 and 2016 Democratic party platforms. It just gave them a catchier name. So it's not like a bunch of wholly new ideas that (most important) haven't had at least some political marketing research behind them.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's way different because of all the other progressive agenda items that are really behind it. That FAQ doc was a gumbo of intersectionality. You can't take it back, either. It'll be attached the proposal for as long as it exists.

One of the main beliefs/perceptions conservatives hold of liberals/progressives is, however polished their ideas may be communicated, underneath them is a firm "we know better and we’re better than you" posture that thinks, so long as you went to the right schools, think the right things and have all the right morals - and, increasingly, that you voice these things all the time on social media, because “silence is violence” - you can fix ALL of America’s problems. And the FAQ sheet affirms that. Never mind that the economies of many Midwestern states would be crushed by these ideas. Those states don’t count. They don’t have enough of the best people in them.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    GWAR has been doing this for years but now it's a big deal I suppose

8. Inky_Wretch

That applies to both sides these days.

9. Inky_Wretch

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No. No I don’t think it does apply. The Green New Deal is asking for a mobilzation that is the functional equivalent of our efforts in WWII. The right is not asking for that.

They’re not the same.

I hope reasonable people on the left understand the undercurrent of what’s happening. The left can do bupkis for two years, blame it on trump and roll into the white house and the senate. Or it can spend the next two years handing its publicity to total newcomers who are surrounded by “Choo choo motherfucker” types advising them. We’ll see how it goes.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The “Northram wanted to execute babies” trope is already quite popular in the fundamentalist circles. My family has been getting riled up about it for weeks

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You know, if people think calls for collective action equals criticism of themselves, then they are too sensitive to live in a democracy. I fail to see how calls for universal actions don't affect, well, everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.