1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Obama's Middle East Speech

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 19, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Nice campaign speech by Hillary.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Proposing Palestinian state based on 1967 accord is pretty ballsy move by Obama.

Would like to be a fly on wall when Netanyahu arrives tomorrow.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Boom, again you are right, but the hammer is in its way also a problem, because as we have learned (I hope to God anyway), U.S. military power is a tool of marginal effectiveness in conducting Middle East foreign policy. It's great for catching bin Laden when we find him. But it can't accomplish many of our goals.

4. Boom_70

Obama seems to want to walk a fine line between realism and idealism.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I believe Robert Kennedy referred to himself as a "pragmatic idealist."

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I have religious (and zionist) jewish friends who are outraged by this speech and the idea of giving back yet more land to the Palestinians. They believe (rightly or wrongly) that Obama is anti-Israel, or at least sympathetic to a population that wants Israel destroyed. Obama is certainly not anywhere near as popular in Israel as Bush II was.

I don't know what to believe at this point. I'm not sure if Obama is simply trying to be pragmatic (in a political culture that seldom rewards pragmatism) or if my friends are right and he favors the Palestinians over Israel when American public opinion is the exact opposite.

7. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

I hope it was just an oversight, but ...

Is anyone else concerned that in his rundown of "universal rights," Obama listed three of the five freedoms provided for by the First Amendment -- Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Assembly & Freedom of Religion -- but neglected to include Freedom of Petition and, especially, Freedom of the Press? Just askin'.

8. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Before everyone flips a fucking nutty... He said 67 borders, with swaps. Not green line. Not red line.

This has been our government's position since Carter at Camp David.

9. Boom_70

Thanks for clarifying.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't worry. A lot of people are concerned every time Obama draws a breath. There's a whole teevee network devoted to it, in fact.

11. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

A smart friend of mine was absolutely correct when he said today: "Bibi is a fucking nutbar."

Because he is. He is not the least bit interested in negotiation. Well, congratulations, Bibi. Then nothing is going to fucking get done. Ever.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honestly, the two sides will have to live with any agreement they sign. If I was the U.S. I'd just say "deal with it, figure it out. We're tired of of being the middlemen."
    But Middle East policy is a big vote-getter so Presidents continue to try and broker something, something that can be undone by a 14-year-old with a rock.

Draft saved Draft deleted