1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Bush, do you know what that signal means?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 13, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That would be the rather large finger in the ass, yes.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You're no fun.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I gotta say -- the Arizona State track team gets a White House visit? This stuff has gotten out of hand.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I don't have any problem laughing about it. I find this far from a criticism of the dolt.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

It's a PC thing that's just happened the last decade or so. It's part of the White House's "Day of Champions" celebration. Pretty sure they honor every team that won a national title (even sports like bowling, skiing, cross country). I think they do it twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think I liked it better when Reagan told Marcus Allen he was going to use him as a bargaining chip against Russia after Super Bowl 18. And come to think of it, I think that might have been the last time a President called a championship locker room and they went with the White House visits instead.
    Here's a transcript for those who forget.
    The President. Congratulations. That was a wonderful win tonight. I just think you ought to know, though, that you've given me some problems. I have already had a call from Moscow. They think that Marcus Allen is a new secret weapon and they insist that we dismantle it. [Laughter] Now, they've given me an idea about that team that I just saw there of yours. If you'd turn them over to us, we'd put them in silos and we wouldn't have to build the MX missile. [Laughter] But it's been great. You proved tonight that a good defense can also be a pretty good offense.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Bush is gonna give Condoleeza the shocker before he leaves office.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm guessing she needs an eight-fingered hand for it to really matter.

Draft saved Draft deleted