1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think that's part of it for me. As I wrote above.

I think for a lot of people, it's that the GOP seems anti-decency, anti-heart, anti-human, etc. That's the legacy Trump put on em. So it's on the Democrats to try and fix it. And it'll take some political courage, because there's a growing segment of folks who think borders are wrong unless Canada wants one with the US.

2. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Can we all just agree that Biden is a decent person? There is a humility about the guy that I don't think we've seen in a President since Carter.

lakefront, Tarheel316, garrow and 4 others like this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Yep. Opposing immigration is a lose-lose issue for them. But some of them have made the calculation that it’s less painful to lose a few business donors than to get primaried by some whacko bird who’s even more batshit than they are.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's probably what we prefer, but family immigration is by far the primary basis for legal immigration, accounting for 65 percent of legal immigrants.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

At the same time, part of the backlash from Republicans is probably fear based. The largest companies have market attitudes and demographics figured out in ways that the best political consultants can only dream about. And their math and spreadsheets are telling them that acting like a Republican is a losing bet for a mass-market company. The people are not on their side, and they can only hold it off with gerrymandering and voter suppression for so long before they either have to change policies or go for broke with an armed revolt.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The idea that liberals want to see the United States dissolved is nonsense. The idea that liberals want to see the border turn into the Wild West is also nonsense. Liberals are pushing to spend a lot of money to fix the problems in our country, which is a waste if the long game is to blow the thing up.

lakefront, Mr. Sluggo, Mngwa and 3 others like this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bingo. Our entire food infrastructure - from the folks working in the fields to deboning chickens for Tyson to washing dishes in the most-expensive restaurants - is built upon undocumented workers.

lakefront and garrow like this.
  10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If by "undocumented workers" you mean "people less likely to report labor and safety violations because they fear for their own status" ...

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, of course.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As long as they're not from shithole countries.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted