1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Mr. Slave approves.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If the malarkey comes with the shenanigans, I'm FUARTG.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

NC D gov Roy Cooper vetoed 23 bills last legislative session. The R super majority overrode all 23. The only reason they have a veto-proof majority is because an D changed parties after her election. I still think her constituents should have a less than civil chat with her.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

come again?

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

We’re here with a group as well. The Daisy Bates statue was really cool. Wish they didn’t put her next to Jefferson Davis, but progress.

Also, I don’t know if your daughter noticed, but there are way fewer groups here than I would have thought for a Memorial Day weekend.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I see where Adam Silver and Roger Goodell were guests at last night’s state dinner for Kenya but not Manfred. I wonder what the difference between his league and theirs is?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Trump had a rally in the Bronx and a bunch of Dominicans turned it into a party. Trump is a giant orange douchebag. ... and people went to his rally, despite (most of) them being able to recognize a bullshit artist better than most Americans can.

What I think (and what I think a lot of you don't get) . ... Joe Biden would obviously never do that kind of rally (thankfully), and certainly not in the Bronx. But if he ever did show up in the Bronx, he'd be pandering. He'd patronize them, he'd try to be man-of-the-people in a cringeworthy way. He'd imply they are victms and they are oppressed, talk about how he's going to wave his magic wand and fix all of the problems in the Bronx, how he's going to make everything free, redistribute wealth, blah blah blah. If it was Hilary Clinton, she'd put on a fake accent like she is a ministor at at AME Zion church.

The one thing about Trump. ... he's more full of shit than anyone alive, he's dishonest and a cheat, and everyone knows it. And at the same time, the paradox is that there is actually an authenticity about him. At that rally, he wasn't anyone or anything except Donald Trump. And that is what those people are responding to. The crowd at that rally tells me that people will take an immoral bullshit artist who is just being himself over the pandering crap they have gotten for decades. I also don't think for a second that it matters enough for the amount of handwringing it will get. Most of those people aren't going to vote, let alone for Donald Trump. And he is not winning New York's electoral votes.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Except he is often pandering. To pro-life people, to gun-owners, to evangelicals to working class. He despises his cult more than any latte sipping liberal does. He doesn't pander to racists, xenophobes or misogynists, however.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Pandering may not be the right word. But he actually delivers for those people you are talking about. He spent four years in office doing some of what they asked, for example, letting them choose the Supreme Court Justices he was going to appoint. It's also an important distinction that you are talking about things that are way more concrete than the mealy imprecise rhetoric poor people get from politicians going to the class /race warfare playbook.

Gun owners want a guy who throws up road blocks to any attempt at gun legislation. It's very concrete. And he could actually do that. It's not "fair share" or equity bullshit over and over again. ... while the poverty in the Bronx stays the same and their lives go on.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The playing population of MLB certainly differs from the NBA and NFL, but I wouldn’t call the NFL a bunch of libruhls overall. Ownership includes not just people who will vote for Trump but at least eight who have given large sums to his kkkampaign. I was surprised to see Goodell on the attendees list. That won’t play well with his bosses.
    Which NFL Owners Support Donald Trump?

Draft saved Draft deleted