1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

It used to be a rare thing to spot a sociopath in the wild. Now all one need do is turn on CSPAN.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So did you spend the money or sock it away, buy stocks with it?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course, if you read the link in Sinema's tweet, it says this:

Somewhat of a difference in voting for $10.74 vs. $15, even though the plan was a gradual increase.

It's like someone in Congress calling for a $100 billion increase in defense spending but voting no on a bill that would increase it by $500 billion. Doesn't necessarily mean that they're "anti-military," though that's how it will be painted.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It all went on law school debt.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

WASHINGTON – Despite nearly 24 hours of debate that began at roughly 9 a.m. Friday and dragged on as the sun rose Saturday, senators remained engaged – but groggy - in the debate over the relief bill.
    Some senators appeared to nod off at their desks, stirring in time to cast their votes on amendments. Others moved around, as if to stay awake.
    A muted cheer arose in a chamber where the average age is 61 and several are 80 or older after Kansas GOP Sen. Jerry Moran proposed that amendments going forward be decided on voice vote, a much faster process than the roll-call process that requires the Senate clerk to read the name of each senator and ow they voted.
    That idea didn’t take root. The next vote, an amendment proposed by Sen. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., to strike certain types of Medicare hospital payments, failed – on a roll-call vote.

Too bad, and fuck Marsha Blackburn with a rusty chainsaw.

6. Neutral Corner

I think that you'll find that the vast majority of these "overpayments" whether the incentive or the increased unemployment went either to debts or things that could not be afforded before them - sets of tires, tax bills, credit card debt, back rent/utilities, auto repair/replacement, etc. When you get to the upper end of the income limit, some who were able to work from home kept their income and this was extra money for them socked it away. Most low wage earners can't work from home, and if they had kids they had to find child care with school being out.

Yes, it goes to blow up the national debt, and at some point we're going to have to get serious about paying that down before interest rates rise and it becomes nearly impossible. I just don't understand the mindset of "screw the poor, I'll be ok".

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

And it's a stimulus. Did we need the money? No. Did we spend it? Yes! We order food delivery three times a week and sometimes more. Often, it's just local places. But it adds up to eating out way more than we ever did, even though we're not actually going to restaurants. That's what a stimulus is supposed to do. Put money into the economy.

lakefront, maumann and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

60% approval rating, his signature policy initiative has a 70+% approval rating, and beltway wisdom is that no one’s listening.
    LOL AP sucks

maumann likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Exactly. I was talking to my mom the other day and saying that we're probably going to use the money to continue a remodeling project we started during COVID. It will give us a chance to do more than our original plans. She said, "Don't tell anyone that!" I said, Why not? I'm putting the money back in the economy. I'm not squirreling it away. I'm not paying off credit cards. It's going to go to a young, local contractor with a young crew who are going to then spend that money on new tools/supplies or on their own food delivery, etc. That's what it's for.

Do we need it? No. We're fortunate that we didn't lose our halfway decent middle-class jobs last summer. Will we use it? Absolutely.

lakefront, Mngwa, garrow and 7 others like this.
  11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Exactly the same here. We are installing hardwood floors and new carpeting throughout our house ... a project we would’ve done in a few years, but instead using the stimulus to pay for a portion of it now.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What you two are doing is exactly how the bill is supposed to work. I also note you will be employing tradespeople and small businesses that probably were very hard hit during the first stage of the pandemic.

Kato, Gutter and Neutral Corner like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted