1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preseason Heisman pick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Aug 16, 2012.

?

Preseason Heisman pick

1. Matt Barkley

24 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Montee Ball

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Denard Robinson

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Landry Jones

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Geno Smith

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  6. Aaron Murray

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Marcus Lattimore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. AJ McCarron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sammy Watkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. DeAnthony Thomas

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  11. Tyler Wilson

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  12. EJ Manuel

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  13. Eddie Lacy

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  14. Tajh Boyd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Other

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, no way Danny Wuerffel should have won it ahead of Manning in 1996.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, by that rationale, how do you pick a guy on a 9-3 team over a guy on an 11-1 team?

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The guy on the 11-1 team was playing with at least three first- or second-round draft picks on offense and a substantially better defense. I should clarify: I wouldn't have voted for Luck if the Oregon game had gone differently. But I think he would have won.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Fair enough. That's been a complaint for years --- that all the Heisman winners come from top-5 teams. The record seems to bear that out.

I just thought Luck was the better, far more polished player of the two. Obviously, some others thought differently.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Andrew Luck's 2011 stats:

288-of-404 (71.3 percent) for 3517 yards. (8.7 yards per attempt.) 37 TDs, 10 INTs. Rating: 169.7

150 yards rushing, 2 TDs.

Robert Griffin III 2011 stats:

291-of-402 (72.4 percent) for 4293 yards. (10.7 yards per attempt.) 37 TDs, 6 INTs. Rating: 189.5

699 yards rushing, 10 TDs.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's fine. But your explanation of why people voted for RG3 is fucking retarded.

Also, see Double Down's post for why you're wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm not suggesting anyone who voted for Griffin was retarded. Anymore than I am saying someone voting for Mitt Romney is retarded.

I just have an honest difference of opinion. What's wrong with that?

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Knile Davis disapproves of this thread.

9. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

We might have a new winner for dumbest award voting of all time. Who the heck was the QB who won it over him?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not just ESPN highlights, but marquee games from which to provide them. With games against Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ohio State and maybe a Big Ten championship game, he should ample opportunity to make a push. Even if the Wolverines go something like 9-4, if he does his part and they lose close games because the defense can't make stops, he won't be punished for that.

Like RGIII (memorable TCU game to start last season), if he produces a great game -- even in a loss -- against Alabama, he could ride that a ways.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Robinson vs. Alabama: 6-17, 75 yards, 2 INTs. Heck, if LSU can't even score against Alabama, I'm not holding out much hope for Michigan.

12. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Totally new defense. If Robinson can hit a big play through the air (likely with almost all new secondary) then he will be able to get to the corner a few times. If they run a QB dive, however, he may be paralyzed.

Draft saved Draft deleted