1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preseason Heisman pick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Aug 16, 2012.

?

Preseason Heisman pick

1. Matt Barkley

24 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Montee Ball

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Denard Robinson

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Landry Jones

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Geno Smith

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  6. Aaron Murray

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Marcus Lattimore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. AJ McCarron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sammy Watkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. DeAnthony Thomas

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  11. Tyler Wilson

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  12. EJ Manuel

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  13. Eddie Lacy

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  14. Tajh Boyd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Other

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Reggie Bush and Vince Young were stealing votes from Matt Leinart in 2005, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Denard Robinson appears to be Barkley's main competition to me. He makes very flashy big plays on a team that needs about 38 points a game to win. Don't underestimate the importance of ESPN highlights in the Heisman vote.

3. Creative offense? Top 20 team? Big-name opponents (Texas, OU) mixed in with stat-aiding terribad defenses (Tech, Baylor)?

Make mine Geno Smith

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I also think Geno Smith could be in the running.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Huh? I just think Luck was the more deserving player.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think there is definitely a voter's backlash when someone starts off the season as an overwhelming favorite.

Not to say Woodson and RG3 weren't deserving, but I think people were looking for an excuse to vote for someone else. I'm sure there are other years as well, but those two definitely jump out.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The only thing Andrew Luck had on Robert Griffin III last season was better teammates.

8. Mizzougrad96

I seem to remember Manning having a better season as a junior than he did as a senior. I think the same could probably have been said about Luck as well, who was better as a sophomore than as a junior. It's hard to vote for a guy who wasn't as good as he was the previous year.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Or when there's a guy with better statistics across the board leading the arguably season's biggest surprise team.

I do think Luck would have won had Stanford beaten Oregon (and UCLA in the Pac-12 title game). But Luck was at his worst last season against his best opponents, which never helps. Griffin was amazing pretty much every time Baylor was on national TV.

10. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I certainly have no problem with Woodson or RG3 winning the award... Both were very deserving...

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

One of the more interesting story lines this year flying under the radar is how good SEC quarterbacking will be after two bad years at the position. AJ McCarron, Tyler Wilson and Aaron Murray are all on the above list, but Tyler Bray, James Franklin, Zach Mettenberger and Tyler Russell are fine players, and I expect Florida and South Carolina to be much more stable this season under center.

12. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

This makes sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted