1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps sports writer, The Santa Fe New Mexican

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jbarron, Jun 21, 2008.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

yuppers. but usually it means they're not even trying to edit the sports stuff.

2. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

That's not the way it works everywhere.
    Universal desk has copy editors/designers who specialize on certain sections. We never have someone design the sports section that doesn't know sports, and it's not a huge operation.
    Universal desk was the best thing that's happened to our sports dept. in years.

3. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Ah, the universal desk. Reminds me of when I was college and wrote a reference to fans in the Uecker seats, which was changed to "U-decker seats." Gotta love it!

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

That's the only compliment I've read about a universal desk.

5. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Told of the above comment, one of my colleagues added another compliment:
    "One less thing I have to do."

6. Hiring freeze has been put in place and Tommy wrote to say he has no idea if/when it will be lifted. But I did appreciate him taking the time to let me know.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Yup. Classy move in what has to be a difficult time.

A three-person staff at a 26K with 22 high schools? That's a big ask.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Fringe schools need love, too, but I understand your point and have been duly corrected on this.

Still stinks, though (the freeze, not my being corrected).

9. jbarron

jbarron New Member

Well, to answer Buck's question, our primary concern are the large city schools - mainly St. Michael's, Santa Fe High, Santa Fe Indian and Capital - but the city has four other smaller school. The "fringe" schools do play – or maybe I should say have played – a larger role. We have Los Alamos, Pojoaque and Espanola Valley within a 40-mile radius, and they usually have strong programs in a variety of sports, especially Los Alamos.
    About 60 miles west is Las Vegas with two schools that still figure prominently in our area. Further north is Taos and Questa, which do not have as much play, especially since we have a sister weekly paper in that area. But we still cover them for breaking news and for important events.
    Within that area are six small schools that we depend upon their coaches to call for roundups. Recently, we added another school - Bernalillo, which is about 15 miles north of Albuquerque - to the coverage area, but that might be a thing of the past with the freeze.
    Just for what it's worth.

10. Received an email from the SE that says the paper is now on a hiring freeze. So the job with remain open for a LONG TIME

Draft saved Draft deleted