1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps Reporter: Opelika-Auburn (Ala.) News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Szvetitz, Jul 22, 2013.

1. slc10

slc10 Member

Wonder if this job has been filled as well. Only clubs in my house are actually softball and baseball bats. My golf game is non-existent. Anyone know anything here?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

As I have recently talked to the guy who said he took the job, yeah, it's my impression that it has been filled. Not my place to name a name, though.

3. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

We've had some developments in our staff since I've posted this job, and I've been a bit busy as well, so sorry for the lack of updates.

I'm thrilled to announce that we have hired Alex Byington to join our staff. Alex did an incredible job in Killeen, Texas, and I'm extremely confident he will continue that work with us.

I'm also in the process of hiring someone else as well. Hence the staff developments. When the time is right, I'll announce that one, too.

Thanks for all those who applied. It was a great group of candidates.

4. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

Alex is a good "get" and will do a great job.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Kudos to Mike for hiring Alex.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Their Auburn guy left to cover South Carolina for the Post & Courier, hence the other opening.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Mike: Will you post the Auburn job or will your preps candidates be enough?

8. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

Alex Byington will be our Auburn University beat writer once Ryan Wood leaves for his new job.

I also have hired Tom Green to be our prep reporter. I'm excited about both Alex and Tom. Alex has been doing great work for years, and Tom has a tremendous career in front of him. They both have huge shoes to fill, but they know that. Both will do excellent work for us.

On the other hand, I'm sad to see Ryan leave, but I know he'll continue his stellar work at the Post & Courier.

Thanks again for all those who applied. Again, it was a tremendous group of candidates.

9. Nathan_C_Deen

Nathan_C_Deen New Member

Is Tom by chance a UF grad? Think I recall seeing that byline in the Alligator when I was in Gainesville. I lived in Columbus (GA) for two years and followed this paper; they do good work. Best wishes for your new hires.

10. Andrew Olson

Andrew Olson New Member

Yes - happy for him

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Happy for Alex, a good step up for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted