1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps Opening, St. Louis P-D

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I suspect they might be eyeing a stringer who's been covering cross country and the Steamers to fill that gig.

2. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Congratulations on using not one, but TWO lines that stopped being funny two years ago.

3. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

I don't know, man, traffic in st. louis can be pretty horrific sometimes. And I think what the ad implies is that the stl metro area is really spread-out and you've got to know your way around on deadline. Nothing more than that.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I agree on the knowing your way around, but after spending time in Atlanta/Chicago, St. Louis is a cake walk.

5. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

So, should I put the two weeks I spent as a courier in St. Louis on my resume? I sure as hell learned my way around.

6. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

That part about having the ability to navigate the coverage area is incredibly pointless. Is there anywhere a preps reporter can work where he doesn't have to be able to navigate the area? Are they saying they won't hire me if my previous paper chauffeured me to all games?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very pointless. Any preps reporter at a bigger paper is going to have to hit a bunch of outlying areas in addition to the city limits.

That line was the preps job equivalent of the Tampa Trib job ad that said you needed to know how to type and spell.

8. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

From what I understand, there coverage area includes 100+ high schools, hence the line about navigation.

9. sjfan1

sjfan1 New Member

nevermind

10. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

Any idea who left the P-D for this to open up?

11. rgd

rgd Guest

The Steamers? I think that's something my dog leaves behind on cold nights.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My first thought was, the Steamers. I thought this was a job in St. Louis, not Cleveland.

And I believe that I know a stinger there as well, who would have a solid shot at the job. Are the Steamers the indoor football team? 'Cause I think that is what he is covering, that and high school soccer. I might be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted