1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps on your web site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by taz, Nov 2, 2006.

1. taz

taz Member

Just looking for some ideas about how we can improve prep coverage on our web site. Are there any newspaper web sites that you think do a great job with high schools, and is there anything you're doing differently this year to give preps a better presence on the web?

2. Jerseykid1982

Jerseykid1982 Member

Fort Worth Star Telegram does a great job with its site. I think it's the best by far. But they also have a whole bunh of people dedicated to it.

3. tx_spts

tx_spts Member

Dallas Morning News has a section called 'My High Schoo' with schedules, stats, stories, rosters for each school and there is a high school blog that stays pretty busy.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

If you're looking for a paper a bit smaller than Dallas or Fort Worth, you can take a look at how the Greenville, SC paper does theirs. They've got all the schools grouped and it's pretty easy to find what you're looking for.
    I wonder about how often they update the non-football sports. It looks like they are going to try, though, by the template they have set up.

5. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

www.ajc.com/highschool

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

This season, we've started doing our predictions for games online only and teasing to them in the paper.

Alos, we don't publish Saturday, but all our Friday games are posted onlne Saturday morning. Kind of our own little online sports section.

7. In addition to posting our preseason tab and weekley tab on the web, our company gave all the sports depaertment cell phones.
    When we staff a game we are required to call in with quarterly updates so they keep a running score on the website.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Likewise, I constantly update an area-wide scoreboard on our high school blog on Friday nights. As soon as a game begins to be taken on the phone, somebody gets me the final score, and I update the list.

9. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

I've seen some medium to smaller papers link larger preps coverage to sites like Rivals or a state association equivalent.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The El Paso Times has a pretty good one and they are connected to MaxPreps, so they have a pretty good stat package on-line.

11. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

My shop does a live scoreboard, a postgame podcast, a video preview of the game of the week, team home pages, message boards, video highlights and a high school blog.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Two questions:
    1. What kind of circulation is your shop?
    2. How much time does it take to do all that and how many people are involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted