1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prepare for fees on most credit card transactions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Dec 20, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, my personal card is a Starwood Amex. When I worked at the airline, I flew for free. I traveled a lot for work, and could put travel expenses on my personal card, and get reimbursed for them.

I still try to put nearly all my personal expenses on the card, but haven't used any points in years.

But, the business card, which gets membership rewards points is where I spend a lot more money. I use it to buy all the parts, and water filters, etc. that I buy for my business. Just the gas and parking I use it for adds up.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I put nearly everything I buy on Discover. It gets 1% back on all purchases, 5% on certain things. I've never had a card with an annual fee. I see no point. I don't know what I get for that.

Why does everyone love AmEx so much?

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

AmEx:
    Great customer service.
    Checked bags free
    companion ticket annually
    DL points for everything; double points for lots of stuff
    Great customer service.
    Skymiles shopping for more points
    Did I mention the great customer service?

4. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Discover 5 percent cash back was very tricky? Isn't it capped at a low amount and the categories change from month to month or something? And it's 1 percent on everything else?

There are ins and outs of the Amex BlueCash as well. You have to hit a minimum spend before the 5 percent kicks in (it's 1.5 before that, I think), but in general I get a very high yield out of the 5 percent on the Amex for gas and groceries and 2 percent on the Cap 1 for everything else. I know I had more than $2,000 cash back last year. But (1) some of that is off business spend; and (2) I pay everything I possibly can with the cards.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

No fee for mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted