1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep writers and their strange, but true stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Duespayer, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Duespayer

Duespayer New Member

This really did happen while returning from a wrestling conference championship meet a decade or two ago, way out in the middle of the "Cornfield Communities," cold and snowy as hell. The meet lasted 2.5 hours longer than scheduled (surprise!) and on the way back to the office, I briefly caught a glimpse of what I thought was a school bus parked behind a farmhouse barn.

About a mile down the road, I decide to turn around and execute some high-powered investigative journalism. I pull my truck to the side and walk over. For winning the conference title for the first time in 37 years, coach XXL bought the team a present - hookers. To put a price on my journalistic ethics, coach XXL purchased time for the rookie sports writer, literally "in the hay."

And I made deadline.

Curious about other "strange but true" stories that have happened to prep writers on deadline.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

After all the little wrestling goomers were there first, I sure as hell hope he paid for the penicillin...

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If that's true, due, you -- perhaps literally -- blew your shot at a great story.

I know, I know, some of you will say that sports writers can't be bought off by trifles like hookers, but it does give the appearance of a conflict of interest.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have two words for duespayer's little tale:

TOTAL BULLSHIT!

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I agree. There's no way he still made deadline.

6. Bears00

Bears00 Member

No freaking way that is true and if it is you are an idiot.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I can only think of one poster who could pull that off

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So you've been in the business for more than two decade, meaning you probably aren't paying journalistic dues. Therefore, the dues you are paying clearly is herpes.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No outing!

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if someone else is springing for the hookers, do you then tip the hooker or give her a little something for her effort?

What is the protocol?

11. Who do you write for Penthouse (Letters) Prep?

Nice try, but I call Bullshit!

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, if he's a high school sports writer, chances are he doesn't have hooker money.

The author should aim for something a little more realistic, like a 29-year-old girls soccer coach offering herself for the front page (ATM for the centerpiece).

Draft saved Draft deleted