1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Sports Writer, York (Pa.) Daily Record/Sunday News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pendleton, Aug 15, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And as Pendleton alluded to, you'll be spending plenty of February and early March in the Giant Center covering district hoops. Learn to love the smell of Hershey's.

2. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

OK, how about experience? Are they looking for enterprise reporting/clips? because I don't have them and it has been a real hurdle.

3. DanRPI34

DanRPI34 New Member

I'm glad to hear everyone has so many nice things to say about this place, but I'm a little afraid of Media News papers. They recently bought my paper and ravaged the sports section. They cut our number of sports writers in half. I'm just lucky I get paid beans so I survived. Anyone know how long this has been a Media News operation?

4. thebigd

thebigd Member

I'm with early entry. I've been around a while, and don't have hardly any enterprise. Lots of ind-depth features. We have such limited space that my boss doesn't see the need or the deire for enterprise

5. If you can write well, send your best stuff. You'll learn how to do enterprise with Frank Bodani and Jim Seip around. Those two are serious talents.

I spent four years in York, at both papers, and I'm better for the experience.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Jeffrey's quite right. You have a couple of role models there which few papers that size can boast of.

7. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

I just sent in my stuff. Wish me luck. I have to admit:it'll be a tough on for me to obtain. Keep hope alive! Lol.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm hearing there's already a crowded field for this one, including a former York stringer hack who wants to return to the area.

9. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

OK, so either Wicked you're involved or a friendly competitor...but what type of talent is flooding Mr. Otto's email here? I'm a newbie, so what chance do I have?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm not directly involved, FWIW. And the aforementioned hack has little shot, IMO.

To answer your question, early, I think everyone has a chance on this one. They will look very closely at quality. Also, York has a smaller sister paper in Hanover, The Evening Sun. If someone moves up from there -- again, I'm speaking with no inside knowledge -- that creates an opening at another decent paper, where the competition between Hanover and Gettysburg is getting tighter and tighter.

There are far worse places to work in this business. This is not a sweatshop. The YDR will prep someone for something great, of that I can assure you.

11. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

yea, I think a reporter at Witchita Eagle who covers Kansas State or Kansas worked there, no? Anway, I would looove to work there...

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Correct. Jeffrey_Martin, who posted on this thread, covers K-State for the Eagle.

Draft saved Draft deleted