1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep sports writer, Ames, IA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Tribune in Ames, Iowa, seeks a versatile sports writer to cover primarily preps with a sprinkling of everything from Division I college to community sporting events. Must be knowledgeable in the typical array of high school sports, able to write clean copy for the Web and on deadline and show creativity in developing features, profiles, enterprise and alternative story format pieces.
    We are looking for a true journalist, not just a super fan, who embraces new media, social media, and real-time reporting. Demonstrated experience with online and multimedia reporting is a necessity. Position demands night and weekend work. Four-year degree in journalism or equivalent experience required. We are a six-day daily with two Web sites in a college town 30 minutes north of Des Moines. We cover 12 high schools and the Iowa State Cyclones in a competitive market.

Please send a cover letter, resume, clips and references to sports editor Courtney Linehan at The Tribune, 317 Fifth Street, Ames, IA 50010 or clinehan@amestrib.com. No phone calls, please.

2. I would take this job solely for the chance to occasionally cover -- or perhaps just bask in the presence of -- Paul Rhoads.

3. I'd take it just for the buttermilk brownies in Iowa State's press box. I firmly believe that if the Cyclones ever get the idea to give each recruit a tray to take back, Oklahoma and Texas are completely screwed.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What's the story with the SE getting the top gig 18 months out of school?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I know a lot of unemployed sports reporters in the midwest and they pretty much all are applying or have already applied.

6. BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit Member

What is the staff size, and how do they split up the beats?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

By the looks of this, http://gocyclones.com/overtime.php, it's a staff of three.

I wonder who left or if they reshuffled the newsroom to add someone to sports. The paper is also hiring a two temporary education reporters, one to cover the Iowa State beat and another K-12 education, so it looks like the paper is a bit cheap to split a full-time position into two part-time ones to save paying benefits.

I liked the qualifications for the temp jobs that last until May with the posibility of an indefinite extension. One is to develop a beat. That's bull in my book because there is no way in hell you can develop a decent beat in two months.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It's a good sports section, and all three staff members are great people. This is going to be a good job for someone.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Big on wrestling, eh?

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You think? It's freakin' Iowa.

11. Cubbie Blue

Cubbie Blue New Member

So does anyone know the circulation of this paper or how long they'll be taking applications? Would it already be too late?

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Just send in your stuff. The worst they can say is 'no'.

Draft saved Draft deleted