1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Sports Editor/ Santa Barbara, CAs

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Aug 29, 2006.

1. 805atHeart

805atHeart Member

A few people still seem interested in this gig in spite of the shitstorm that went down at the news-press.

So for what it's worth, the pay wouldn't be terrible (PM me for details). Yes, living in Santa Barbara is atrocious in terms of rent. I also think that it was recently given the honor of the highest gas prices in California (so in all likelihood, the country). But living in Goleta isn't terribly expensive, especially if you don't mind having a roomate. Barry Punzal, the new SE, is a good dude. I shared the press box with him a couple of years ago at a handful of UCSB soccer games and he was always really helpful to the newbie (me).

This is, of course, if you choose to ignore the well-documented upheaval going on within the newsroom.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Realistically, how much of that shitstorm is wafting over to sports? Seems like it's more of a Page 1/ops thing.

3. marmar

marmar New Member

well, at least two people have left sports, including the sports editor and the preps editor.

they have hired many straight out of college kids to fill in the gaps for the now 16 people who have left. the owner has sued two of the former editors that worked there, jerry roberts — well-respected by everyone — and the business editor. and if management hasn't met the demands of the remaining newsroom employees by sept. 5, the employees have been passing out pledge cards asking the public to cancel their subscriptions that day.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

http://www.independent.com/opinion/2006/08/when_the_blog_wags_the_dog.html

This media column in the Santa Barbara Independent (the local alt weekly, FWIW) has some comments on the state of prep coverage at the paper this fall amid the upheaval.

One relevant passage:

<<Normally, someone like Traphagen would be replaced and there’d be a learning curve for the newcomer. But in this case, there’s reason to wonder what the News-Press’s commitment is to high school sports. In years past, N-P owner Wendy P. McCaw has wondered out loud how much money she could save by axing high school sports coverage altogether. Some, no doubt, but not nearly as much as the paper would lose in terms of community connection.>>

5. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

"In years past, N-P owner Wendy P. McCaw has wondered out loud how much money she could save by axing high school sports coverage altogether. Some, no doubt, but not nearly as much as the paper would lose in terms of community connection."

This is the biggest sign to how clueless McCaw is to COMMUNITY JOURNALISM. I had plans to apply for SE until I read about her assinine opinion on the "bread and butter" of a local newspaper.

That's why this job posting should come with a "apply at your own risk" warning.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Wondered if Mike T. would be among the departing. Good guy, dealt with him at some prep stuff in the old days.

Good luck to whoever walks into this shitstorm.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Google the dipshit PR person... she's a bonehead too. I came across a travel piece she did while prowling around...

I can only imagine what it must have been like when General John A. Quitman and his beautiful wife Eliza Turner, lived at Monmouth. General Quitman, a legend is his time, was an American war hero and prominent politician, serving twice as governor of Mississippi and achieving one of the highest honors following the Mexican War. Then president James K. Polk promoted Quitman to major general in the army - a distinction so impressive that only one other person, George Washington, held a higher rank.
    As I wander through the mansion, taking in the historical significance of many timeless treasures, I can’t help but wonder about what life must have really been like for Quitman. His famous sword, family china, hand-written letters, personal Bible, photographs of his wife and children, and his custom-made bed, all grace the halls and rooms of Monmouth, reminding me of that special time long ago."

How the fuck does she know about "the special time long ago..." douche bag

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Any news on ... anyone else fleeing the sports dept.? I heard a sports copy editor quit a few days ago. I can only imagine how fun Friday night football is in that department ... :eek: :eek: :eek:

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

This really sounds like a good gig, except for the part about not knowing if you're going to be canned tomorrow.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I put this on the journalism topics thread for news on the paper, but thought I'd also update people on a jobs board about what they'd be walking into ...

www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003123075

11. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Apparently the folks here weren't real impressed with what they got since it's back on jj.com

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Maybe no one applied.

Draft saved Draft deleted