1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Sports Editor/ Santa Barbara, CAs

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Aug 29, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Santa Barbara News-Press is looking for a Prep Sports Editor. The prep editor is responsible for the coverage of 15 high schools. Duties include writing, coordinating coverage of prep events and desk work. Page designing a plus. Must have at least 2 years experience in prep writing. Night and weekend work are required. Two years experience on a copy or design desk preferred. To apply, please send your resume and design clips to the Santa Barbara News-Press, P.O. Box 1359, Santa Barbara, CA. 93102-1359 or e-mail apodaca@newspress.com.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

3. Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash New Member

I'd really love to know what anyone has heard about the upheaval in SB. Things get resolved there?
    Aside from that, is this a good opportunity to move from rim/slot/design to editor?

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It is a good high school area that covers Santa Barbara county, which also includes Lompoc and Santa Maria, etc.

If it wasn't the News Press with all of its current baggage, it would be a great gig. High School sports are treated well here and the passion has been there in the past.

5. gauchoguy16

gauchoguy16 Member

Things are still terrible. More people are leaving, that's why this job is opening. As said above, be very afraid. As lovely as SB is, I wouldn't work at that paper until the owner and all her minions are killed or not working there or both.

6. Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash New Member

Well, despite the colossal issues, I guess I have to admit I'd be interested to know what the pay range would be if anyone knows. SB is an expensive place to live after all...

7. Claws for Concern

Working in SB is one thing. Living there is quite another. Santa Maria is 60-70 miles to the north, Lompoc is a little closer. Ventura to the south is less expensive, Oxnard perhaps even a little less, and the drive is about 25 miles.

8. zman82

zman82 Member

much like every other job in cali, i'm sure you can't afford to live there.

9. Claws for Concern

You can afford to work in Santa Barbara as long as you live somewhere like Bakersfield!

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you didn't explain the whole story ... santa maria is an option, unless you have kids, er, strike that, boys.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

how bad are things over there?

12. Traveling

Traveling Member

Just Google it and you'll be able to read all about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted