1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Sports Editor in Tucson

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mighty_Wingman, Mar 21, 2008.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Wonder if any applicant would have the sac to tell Tucson/Lee Enterprises you get what you pay for after salary negotiations break down.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

tokenheimer is a fucking stud, period.

3. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

anyone know for sure if this involved writing in addition to managing the part timers? Sounds like a decent gig if you still get to hammer out stories. Big city and good circulation size

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Presumably, since "The successful candidate will possess strong reporting and editing skills," the job includes at least some writing.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yeah, but that could just mean the person has the glorious job of writing roundups

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

has anyone e-mailed tokenheimer to ask him?

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

there you go being logical again.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

love the tokenheimer.

9. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Is that guy your friend, too?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Unless this job has changed much in the last five years, it's mostly an inside gig. I talked to the former editor about this gig around that time, and the pay was in the $35K range, though that was under Pulitzer, not Lee. COL isn't awful in Tucson. Fairly comparable to Phoenix, IIRC. I left the company right as Lee was taking over, so I can't speak to what kind of people they are to work for.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The managing editor, Teri Hayt, spent some time in sports and worked at a few papers larger than the Star. Don't know what she's like now, but she was a really solid person and solid journalist when we crossed paths. I would imagine she'd be more of a plus for the sports department than most MEs.

12. Teri is good people.

The previous prep editor is going back to school to finish his degree and wants to work part-time on the desk.
    I don't remember this job involving much writing, maybe backup beat reporting for UA football or some features. It could be different since I was there.

Draft saved Draft deleted