1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Roundups

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Trey Beamon, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I've been at my bi-weekly (published twice a week) for more than a year, and still have no idea the best way to present roundup information.

- Should I go a line or two and run agate?

- Should I squash the agate and run a couple graphs? We're doing that now, but it seems too much for a few more names.

I typically work with 2-3 pages/issue, so space is at a premium. I just haven't found any balance in this regard. I can't afford to omit the information, but don't want to cram every issue with old news.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

-2-3 pages or 12-18 columns? Big difference.
    How many schools do you cover? How many teams total do you cover on a regular basis (IE: if a school has tennis, but never calls, don't count it)?
    What else do you cover (Colleges, JUCO, big amatuer base, youth league sports, rec league)?
    Do you have one massive prep roundup or break it down by school or sport?
    Answer these and it's a little easier to hep...

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

- Two-three pages, each usually with big ass (3 X 10) ads.

- Nine schools in the spring, less for other seasons.

- Other than preps, we cover the D2 college.

- I break down the roundups by sport (right now, it's baseball, softball and track).

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If its nine schools, three sports, stay with the current format of 2-3 graphs and agate.
    If it was 18 schools and 9 sports (like baseball, softball, boys tennis, golf, boys lacrosse, girls lacrosse, boys track, girls track, boys volleyball) then it might be a different story.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Estreet is right, although I would suggest that however you choose to do your roundups, make sure the first one is a bit longer than the rest. Give the lead some meat.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

And please, please, include some information in the roundup that can't be found in the agate. Nothing worse than putting the same info in the paper twice, just in two different forms.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

Damn, do I feel gulity. I work at a bi-weekly and can ask form anywhere from 3 to 8 pages. Only the last page of my section has a ad (6X6). Space is never a problem here. Sorry you have to cram so much into so little space.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I started at a paper that was small and had a similar problem.

One question: do any larger papers cover the same games that you do?

Looking at this from a reader's standpoint, if I see my name in the bigger daily's agate, I will pay attention to that more. But if I get a little bit of a write up in your section with my name in it and a pic or two of the game action, I will pay attention to that more.

I would also look at how the agate is done. I know swimming, wrestling and track are agate beasts, but does softball and baseball really need the agate if it is only innings, pitcher and catchers?

The idea of giving one game "more meat" is great. I would probably add a photo request for that game as well. Just be sure it is a good pic. Nothing looks worse then crappy pics.

Another thing, the DII may be sexier for you to cover, but most of the "locals" may not give two squirts about it.

Good luck

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, but you have no concept of enough is enough.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's a really good point, and it can mean the difference in whether your audience is reading your section or not.

We might get more excited about a good D-II football game, but take a good look at the crowd. If it's all students and school-related personnel and no "townies," think twice about your coverage.

That's not to say it's that way everywhere. In some places, the town treats its D-II sports like a miniature D-I. But know the answer.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I shouldn't feel bad, either, for asking (and getting) anywhere from 12 to 16 pages whenever I want them.

Draft saved Draft deleted