1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep RB ruled ineligble after comments to reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big_Space, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

Miami Herald ran a story on Lakeland High School football team, an upbeat story on small-town football.

In the story the teams star RB admits to accepting gifts and cash. Now the Florida High School Association is investigating. And the paper had audio of the interview.

I have no comment, just an interesting situation.

I do wonder if the original story's author knew the player had broken rules.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16165246.htm - The only game in town

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16173414.htm - Lakeland star faces FHSAA scrutiny

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, I found it really strange that they just kind of blithely reported those quotes and apparently with nobody raising an eyebrow. Strange.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's strange but I've seen similar things before.

Anyway, whenever a woman hands me a wad of cash, she always wants something.

Her pizza!

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

(Rimshot.)

(You're welcome.)

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Something similar happened not long ago at a Catholic high school in Pittsburgh. I don't remember all of the details, but a girls basketball player said during an interview that the coach had come to talk to her about the basketball program while she was still in junior high. I forget what they did to the player, but the coach was suspended for an entire season.

6. I completely agree. I mean those are some big claims he's making. If you're going to report them, why hide them in the story? Obviously it's a big deal. Either make a full-blown story about it or hold it for later. It just seems like an odd place to include such a quote.

7. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

that's what I was thinking. It doesn't appear the writer and editor knew the magnitude of the players comments.

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

It's Miami. With players getting arrested (Willie Williams), players illegally transferring schools every other semester, player recruitment and God knows what else, accepting clothes and cash probably didn't seem like a big deal to them.

After reading the story, I feel bad for the guy who gave the RB the clothes. Sounds like he'll have to move out of Lakeland. Wait. Is that a bad thing?

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It allowed the Sun-Sentinel to get a gimme "tie" on the story.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

At least two Miami Herald editorial employees didn't realize that amateur athletes can't accept cash and gifts? I know the desk down there is always hurting, but SHIT.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Will this adversely affect his college plans? (Obviously, it could adversely his college plans. But will it actually do so?)

12. Not sure if this will affect his plans. It depends on what the investigation does or doesn't turn up and how the state association rules. My guess is it all gets swept under the rug and chalked up to a dumb kid running his mouth.

Draft saved Draft deleted