1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Football Sections

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BH33, Jun 23, 2009.

1. BH33

BH33 Member

Outside of Texas, does anyone do prep football preview sections anymore?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We did one at my old shop in Illinois, and we do a "Fall sports" preview section where I am now, which is 80% football.

We're actually already starting work on it, which makes me very happy.

3. spud

spud Member

We do. Ours was 30 pages last year. I'd imagine it'll be closer to 20 this year.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

32-64 pages here in Ohio

5. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

somewhere around 80-90 for us

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

ours was 48 pages last year, down six pages from the year before. Likely will stay the same this year.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

We do a 24-page broadsheet for a 16K daily. Our advertising was up 14 percent from my first year to second year here. I have no idea what it'll be like for the third year.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Of course. We have done a combined high school/college tab in recent years that has ranged from 56 to 72 pages.

This year, there's some talk of breaking them up with a total page count in the 72-76 range.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

We've tried to revive ours, but no one wants to buy ads to support it. Oh wait! Maybe our ad department sucks!

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

48 page fall preview that has football and pres on the other fall sports.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, if an ad department can't sell a football tab, they just ain't trying.

I could walk down any main street in any town (especially the smaller towns) and sell enough ads to make it work.

Sounds like your ad department was just like my last one, do as little work as possible.

12. BigJim5190

BigJim5190 Member

I'm actually going to crib some notes for ours in a week or so. Never too early.

Which reminds me, will there be another tab trade set up this season? Tremendously happy with the turnout on here last year.

Draft saved Draft deleted