1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premier Rugby (U.K.) backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, May 11, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: NFL backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

No, they're promoting Union, not League. Premier Rugby Limited - the NFL partner in this - runs the Aviva Premiership, the pro 15s competition in the UK.

Would love to see a legit pro 15s competition take off in the US but if they go through with the plan to field a team of basically novice rugby players in these games against the London Irish - a pro rugby team from the UK - it'll be Dream Team vs. Angola ugly. And that's even if the Irish use benchwarmers.

2. Re: NFL backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

The NFL has been involved with rugby before by agreeing to televise a professional sevens tournament. That tournament, though, has been in the planning stages since 2006 with proposls ranging from a league, a $1 million tournament, reality-show based tournament, changing the size of the field to 50 meters in length, and playing a version of rugby ranging from five up to 11 players. The promoter, Bill Tatham Jr. (a former owner of the USFL's Arizona Outlaws), has also bought the sanctioning body for rugby league in the U.S. and his professional sevens efforts are sanctioned by USA Rugny.

As for available players for the newest effort st a pro league, Maurice Clarett is training for a rugby career. The one advantage football players have in the U.S. is the quality of training facilities. An FCS program has comparable training facilities to most rugby clubs.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The trouble with a lot of top-level rugby is that it's slightly more interesting than watching paint dry. You can get a high-scoring game, but you can also get a tryless kicking contest that ends 15-12. Which is a scoreline that carries the same five kicks to four connotation that it would in football.

If they can't find a way to avoid that, they'll never get any more than passing interest. People might go, ooh, rugby, but after 20 minutes of strategic kicking for position, they'll go watch something else.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

@AQB, thanks for the clarification, am a bit suprised that it is not League being promoted.

I love Union but do think that League is the flashier built for TV game.

5. Re: NFL backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

You're in Canada, right? The State of Origin and NRL is on Rogers Sportsnet World. In the U.S., it's on FOX Soccer, with a couple of NRL matches per week on FOX Soccer Plus.

Just found this. Free, official live streaming of every NRL match.

http://new.livestream.com/nrl

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

NFL fans want more football, period.
    Not these Eurotrash pseudo sports.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you think that's boring, you should watch soccer some time.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

@CO, thanks for the tip.

I did not realize there was a Rogers Sportsnet World channel, will have to check out the subscription fee.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hi troll, how's life under the bridge?

I guess you should talk to the NFL about all this, since the league is involved with it.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

My understanding of the rules was it is forbidden to call someone else a troll.
    I insulted no one, you little passive-aggressive whelp.
    I am stating the obvious. Stick to the subject.
    Prove to me the league is reaaallly enthusiastic about fucking rugby.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So the NFL partnering - which means spending money - isn't proof enough that it is interested? And, to be clear, you're arguing against a position nobody here has taken.

It's obvious this is a seen as a time filler on NFLN. There are only so many eyeballs you can draw with Football Follies and Top 10 TD Passes Thrown For More Than 30 Yards To A Running Back. Nobody - nobody - is suggesting rugby will become a big sport in the USA. But the NFL seems to think it might be able to make some money out of it, because it damn sure isn't in the losing money business.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thank you for someone explaining the difference between league vs. union, that's always stumped me. Still not sure I get it, though.

How many Americans are abroad playing in the Premiership or the Pro 12 or whatever the league is called now? I'm guessing squat.

If NFLN is seeking ancillary programming, I'd think Aussie Rules, albeit less similar to American football, would get more eyeballs here (usually more scoring, lots of ball movement).

Draft saved Draft deleted