1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pregnancy pact in Gloucester (Mass.)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jun 20, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The kids in American Pie just wanted to get laid. Rather normal for kids their age. The girls wanted babies. Not so normal for kids their age.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Debbie Does Gloucester?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Home of The Perfect Sperm.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/puopinion/local_story_172220100.html?keyword=topstory

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Interesting read. Certainly sounds like the newspaper wasn't aware of the potential deluge of coverage this was going to create in the wake of what, likely for them, was a story trying to address a serious local issue. As long as the paper didn't try to inflate itself or the story...

As for the column itself.....does anyone know enough about this paper to give a judgement on if the stories that led to all this were legitimately handled?

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I am so glad to see a bunch of men have gathered to talk about pregnancy among teenage girls.

Allow me a few thoughts:

If there are 17 pregnant girls, there are 17 (or fewer) impregnating boys. Should we print their names in the paper? What about the names of their parents? Should we deny these boys entry into college? Should we call them stupid? Should we mock them in the halls of the high school?

Those of you who are "glad I have sons" are being extremely shortsighted. If your son causes a pregnancy, he is just as responsible for that baby as the girl he impregnated. If your son is a minor, the responsibility falls on you.

I believe in comprehensive sex education in the schools and the community because too many parents fail their children when it comes to issues of sexuality. I believe in the availability of contraception for any person who is sexually active, regardless of age. I also believe in taking responsibility for the consequences of your actions.

We can't pretend to know what's going on in the minds and lives of these girls. Obviously it's something bordering on tragic. That does not excuse their warped perspective that pregnancy and motherhood will solve more problems than it creates -- clearly, it doesn't work that way. I hope that the town's leaders can get to the heart of the problem (which, I assure you, isn't sex) and come up with solutions that work.

7. And I sooo glad a women weighed in to set us all straight, especially one with her pulse on Gloucester Mass and the situation.
    I had no idea you were so tall.

Oh wait, that's a soap box.

What the hell does it matter what sex you are in discussing this?
    Are only those with baseball experience allowed to discuss baseball?
    As a paying dues member of society - thank you very much - I'll discuss what I want. Last time I checked this thread was open to all - including women.
    You might even be surprised to know - as you already pointed out - some males help get teen girls pregnant. As a former homoronally-charged teen, seeking to get laid, I might be somewhat qualified to at least offer an opinion on the matter.
    I forget to put out the He-man Women Haters Club shingle before I started the thread.

Maybe I am shortsighted but in having all boys - I have only three penis' to worry about not, as the saying goes, 3,000.
    Yeah, the male is just a responsible - in a perfect world - but really? Really?
    The male doesn't have to carry the baby to term or go through delivery. The male doesn't suffer the hormone changes or the postpartum depression. In how many cases does the male get custody of the baby in a case of teen pregnancy?
    Oh yeah, there is child support.. that's a great way to raise a child.

I just so glad a woman finally weighed in on this thread to set us straight.
    Now I'm going to go watch pro wrestlers drive monster trucks and scratch myself.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm going to reserve judgment until we hear from the homeless guy.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

From the mouths of (knocked up) babes:

She said there's more of a problem with schools not providing contraceptives to teens.

"Well, I think that they sit there and they say that they want to make a difference and it's awful that all these kids are getting pregnant, but they don't want to do anything to help them. They won't put contraceptives in the nurse's office or anything and no kid wants to go into the store and buy them, or like, ask them mom to help them get birth control. Like, it's embarrassing. So, instead of, like, making them make the decision not to use any of them, they should be giving them out in the nurse's office so you can get it anonymously," Oliver said.

She said the argument that providing contraceptives encourages teens to have sex doesn't make sense.

"The kids are obviously having it anyway. There are 17 pregnant girls. I mean, they're not going to stop it by not giving them anything. They're only going to make matters worse," she said.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the mayor is a liar.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This school district really needs to rethink its sex-ed program.

There are so many failures in this situation that it just numbs my mind. Did anyone do anything correctly?

Draft saved Draft deleted