1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pregnancy announcements on Facebook

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 5, 2011.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I have five guys on my friends list that challenge this theory. And the person who "checks in" the most (because we all care that you just arrived at Dinglenutt's Bar and Grill. No realy, we do) is also a guy. Pretentiousness doesn't know a gender.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I am rarely within 1,000 miles of a relative. I talk to my brother weekly, sometimes Skyping, which is good enough for keeping in touch. We talk Bucs, Braves, jobs, wife/girlfriend -- usually in that order. Then he had a kid, so he got active on Facebook. As the uncle-to-be, I liked this for two reasons: 1) I knew about the little guy just about as well as anyone else in the family and 2) me and my brother could still b.s. once a week instead of spending the entire call catching up on the pregnancy.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I found this interesting. My girlfriend recently had a birthday, and she doesn't post her birthdate on her FB page. So she had no fake "happy birthday" posts from people she hasn't seen in 10 years. I had like 50 such posts. I may just take my birthdate off my page to see if anybody actually knows when my birthday is. Social experiment.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I know when your birthday is. :D

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

See, and you'd give me a sincere, heartfelt happy birthday! I think certain people are programmed mentally to post happy birthday just because Facebook tells you today is so-and-so's birthday. That dude from high school I haven't talked to in 18 years? I probably don't need to post happy birthday on his page.

Also, I'll never let you forget that you're four days older than me. :p

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Asshole :D

Yeah, I post on the walls of people I actually know (either IRL or from here) or people I know through work. Sometimes the people I know through FB games if we've struck up a friendship that way. The girls I went to HS with who never talked to me? Not so much.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Sadly, I put our ultrasound shots on FB. The reason? The wife and I have been trying to have a baby for 5+ years and have been having huge problems with it. When it finally happened for us, it was like the heavens opened and we finally were treated with what we have wanted forever. We had to tell the world.
    However, that was after we personally called everyone who mattered and told them first, then we posted.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My best friend called me when he found out his wife was pregnant because he wanted me to knew personally before they announced it on Facebook. I think that's the way to go with big news.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I did this last year as well.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Always funny seeing people refer to a Facebook page as "mine." You own nothing. They own you.

Draft saved Draft deleted