1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preferred Beats

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Xodus, Apr 1, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree for the most part. I've pretty much stayed a fan of some of the teams I've covered, although I keep the line between doing my job and being a looser.

But having said that, there's no way I want to cover the Redskins. I want to remain a rabid fanboi looser and feel like covering the team would compromise that.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was giddy when I got the baseball beat. Then, after covering spring training, 136 regular season games, the all-star game, the playoffs and the world series I didn't care if I ever watched that goddamn game ever again...

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

NFL is the best beat by far. The regular season actually means something, travel is manageable, access is good...

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Point taken.

5. bob

bob Member

Try covering the Patriots. Access sucks. But I agree on your other points.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Closest thing to real people's work schedule, too, Monday through Friday.

Filling all those off days between games, and what used to be an offseason (free agency, draft, mini-camps, etc.) are not insignficant chores. Some guys prefer baseball, just to cover games every day.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Years ago, our Redskins writer's wife went into labor early and I subbed at the last minute on a road trip.
    Holy shit. It was only one weekend but I had never been around a bigger bunch of assholes. He warned me before I left. He was right.
    Not sure how they are now but in the GibbsEraI, they were awful.

8. bob

bob Member

Just like the Belichick era.

9. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Oh, don't you know it. But, after that initial rush of excitement, you reach your 10th game in 10 days in August without a break, it'd be 98 degrees, the stadium 90 percent empty and the team you cover is already 36 games out. Just freaking awful. My hat's off to anyone who can stand in there year after year and love it.

NFL was great. Absolutely. Don't love it like I did a decade back when I covered it, but it's OK now. Very manageable travel, season, etc.

10. Mediator

Mediator Member

There's a reason why the NFL is called the family beat... and there are lots of divorced baseball dads trying to forge long-distance relationships with their kids.

11. Xodus

Xodus Member

Man, these horror stories are making me want to re-think NBA coverage. I'll be covering SEC football for my college paper this fall so I'll see how I like that. Only having to cover one game a week and traveling just a couple times a year has always looked appealing to me. So maybe I'll consider trying for NFL or college beats when I get my opportunities.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

In two sentences, you just described the past eight months of my life. On more than one occasion, I've forgotten my hotel room number, because they all run together.

It's been tough at times and it's been OK at times and it's been great at times. I'm told if you can make it through the first year in the NBA, it gets better.

Guess we shall see.

Draft saved Draft deleted