1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Predictions Please - PA Primary

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Apr 22, 2008.

1. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I appreciate the food for thought. And I enjoyed the debate, although I'm clearly out of my league when it comes to recalling facts, links, and policy. I'm out for now, but hopefully no hard feelings. And please don't take this as me not wanting to debate on Hillary's behalf. It just seems more like the Clinton campaign manipulating facts to appeal to the pro-choice voters as opposed to Obama actually being more pro-life. That being said, I'll look into the South Dakota abortion ban. Have a good day all.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That was my point.

They're going to have the same policies on the issue and likely appoint similar justices.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The Huck machine was pretty sad. They didn't get much, if any, help at all from HQ in Little Rock and were pretty much floundering, with no idea how to organize or publicize their events. Political differences aside, I felt sorry for them.

Huck's speech here was almost bizarre in that he didn't mention the economy, health care, Iraq, Afghanistan or the mortgage crisis. He did mention his tax refrom plan, abortion, stem cell research, school prayer and "family values."

I signed up on his listserv for a while and almost all the discussion was culture-war stuff. Dominionism (or a slightly softened version of Dominionism) versus Secularism. Thomas Frank, indeed.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You and I have talked about this, but I wonder how much of the public has any idea just how bare bones Huck's operation was, and how closely aligned it was to the churches as a result.

He had no advance team that I was ever aware of, and very few staff. He would fly somewhere, speak at the churches, bus somewhere, speak outdoors, etc. In terms of delegates won to dollars spent, you've got St. Rudy of the Rubble on one end and the Huckster on the other. He truly did some remarkable things.

I wonder, though, if he had been able to raise some more money, would he have distanced himself from the fundamentalists a bit?

My gut says no, but it's an interesting question.

5. writing irish

The local Republican heavies- and there are many- were conspicuously absent when Huck came through town. It really was a remarkable grassroots effort on his part, IMO.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Calling Huck's operation bare bones is an insult to bare bones.
    Dude had his wife, three kids and his old press secretary working for him. That was about it.
    If he had been a serious contender from the get go and not a glibbed up version of Ron Paul, he might have been able to pull it off.
    But he was so short of cash from the start, he had to call in favors from the whack jobs and it ended any mainstream appeal he might have had.
    If a Walton billionaire had supported him or some other Richie Rich from Arkansas had stepped up, he would have not went wide right and I think he'd be the nominee.
    He came damn close regardless.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Completely agreed. If he could have found some deep-pocketed folks, he'd probably have won. He certainly played better on the stump and in the debates than any of the rest of them.

But the big-money folks were killing him, and that, I think, made even the crazy-right money folks hesitate.

8. writing irish

As a footnote, I should add that Chuck Norris was in attendance. His wife looked like an aged titty dancer. Kind of an odd juxtaposition against those in attendance, who certainly did not resemble titty dancers.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Not the most flattering picture and not as hot as John McCain's daughter, but Sarah Huckabee wasn't all that bad to have hanging around.
    I think she surfaces in politics again. Most likely as a candidate for something.

10. writing irish

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I'd do her.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

When 26 percent of Hilda-beasts supporters go on the record and say they'd rather LOSE THE WHITE HOUSE IN NOVEMBER AND HAVE FOUR MORE YEARS OF BUSH POLICIES (which is what they are essentially saying when they say they will not vote for Obama) than vote for someone who is idealogically very close to their favorite queen bee -- yes, that is drinking Kool Aid.

And many of Hillary's so-called (and newfound) supporters (particularly the white gun owners in rural places) AREN'T BLIND which is half the problem because if they were blind, they could see past the fact that Obama is black and they'd vote for him.........

Draft saved Draft deleted