1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Precision Verb & Noun, Inc.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jones, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jonsey, you could be jonesing to take this test ...

http://artinstructionschools.com/free/index.php

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

When you expand to Adverbs, call me. I'll do it. Gladly.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Jones,

A great idea while it lasted but I just saw a press release: Purple Prose'R Us, a division of ESPN, has just raided your entire stable of writers.

YHS, etc

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I think it's a fantastic idea. Were I to do such a thing (thanks for the shoutout, Xan), though, I'd keep it small, tight. Very, very exclusive.

Maybe that runs counter to the idea Jones is going for, but I liken to Magnum Photo v. iStock.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

eagle, you might be right about beat writing and gamers. but as jones said, part of the reason for doing this is to save money for newspapers. so people who join this type of company are being short-sighted and not seeing the big picture. let's say this company is up and running. it might change nothing for the major newspapers out there. but the mid-sized papers that can afford maybe 3-4 trips (or 5 or 10? i have no idea) a year - not including stuff for their regular beats - are not going to spend the money. there are a lot of papers with minimal or no travel budgets beyond the beats.

it's quite simple, really: while putting money in your own pocket and gaining great clips in the short term, you would be perpetuating the outsourcing of your jobs. why would anyone pay more to do something in-house when he knows he can get a terrific product for less money by outsourcing? has anyone who thinks i'm off base noticed how many industries are outsourcing these days and how it's killing entire industries?

just look at magazines. as everyone knows, most magazines have few or no staff writers. (i'm not including the top 10-20 or so biggest magazines like SI, espn, business mags, etc.) why? because they can outsource all their writing. that leads to high quality magazines. but it means there are few staff writer jobs outside of the SIs and newsweeks. i have no idea if magazines used to have more staff writers but the point is that you will all become expendable if an idea like this takes off.

it would be a long, slow progression but if this kind of firm really works, it's great for readers, newspaper management, newspaper ownership and freelancers. it's not so great for anyone hoping to have a future in this industry.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But I already got dressed for work!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Jones,

I don't doubt that at $2/word, you could make the company work. But how many mags are there who are willing to pay that and have the type of established reputation where you aren't worried about them going out of business just as quickly as they came? Are there enough for even 4-5 writers to get 10-12 stories a year?

Also, put yourself in the position of your editor at Esquire. Lets say you need a longform feature story done on Greg Oden and, for whatever reason, the guys you normally rely on aren't available. Are you really going to take the risk of calling up some company and having them choose a writer who you have never heard of to write this piece? Wouldn't it just be easier to start digging through the Rolodex to find someone you already know and trust? Obviously, if your firm has guys like you and Charles Pierce and Dave Kindred working there, this isn't a problem. But I doubt that the Pierces and Kindreds of the world are going to be willing to work exclusively for you. Not because you aren't a great guy and a professional drinker, but why would they limit their opportunities?

In theory, I love the idea because every editor has had the situation where there was a really great story that none of their staff could cover and they couldn't find a reliable freelancer. But the devil really is in the details in this one. You are right that you need exclusivity because otherwise the editor just calls up the freelancer next time and cuts out the middleman. But a freelancer who can give you high-quality longform features as well as good event coverage is going to be unlikely to want to hitch his wagon to just your horse.

I think if you were more of a referral service, then you have a better chance of succeeding, You can be a resource where an editor contacts you and says, "The Rams are playing in Atlanta this week and we would like a free-lancer in Atlanta who can help us with sidebars and notes packages," and you refer them to a guy in Atlanta that you can vouch for because he has sent you clips, so you know he can write, and he has provided you with references, so you know he won't flake out. Your fee is more of a finders fee for getting them that one hookup and you don't need to worry about exclusivity and free-lancers will sign on because it allows them to make those contacts. You don't have to edit the articles, but if the editor is skittish, you can offer to do so for a small fee. You get at least one reliable freelancer in every North American city with a major sports franchise and you charge a reasonable finder's fee, I think you could make a decent amount of coin. Not enough to retire to Bermuda before you are 50, but enough to keep some money coming in.

8. andykent

andykent Member

Jones,

Pope makes some valid points. I just sent you a PM with more details. :)

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Dammit, I'm good enough to write for The Plain DealerPrecision Verb & Noun, Inc.

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

I'll second on the grunt work.

11. danhawks

danhawks Member

http://www.featurewell.com/?Msg=FAQ2

not the same, but similar

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Jonesy,

A thought:

Let's say you have a writer and he generates an idea for a magazine feature. Would he have to pitch it to PV&N, and have the company hook him up with a mag?

Draft saved Draft deleted