1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preakness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, May 17, 2007.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Man, Prado gave C P West a hell of a ride there. Nearly had a heart attack, with my last words being something along the lines of "Go, you mother! Go!"

So close.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thank you very much. (And I'm a he, for the record) Glad I didn't bet it, 'cause I would have played a bunch of combinations in a dollar tri wheel, and the $25 payoff wouldn't have gone far.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Those were three fine horses, all well rode, in that race. If it had been the Derby, we'd never have heard the end of it.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Atrocious ride by Pino. Presence of Zito's horse didn't help, but Pino pulled the trigger far too hard, and far too early.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Now, which of these horses -- Curlin', Street Sense, Hard Spun -- has the endurance for a mile and a half at Belmont?

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Wrong. The only chance he had was for Curlin and Street Sense to get caught in traffic. Those two horses in front of him flat died. He had to get around them. He didn't even really pull the trigger. The horse just didn't have enough in the end. Hard Spun is the third best horse out there. That's just the reality of it.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Vic Ziegal of the NY Daily News made a good point:

Hard Spun went 1:09.80 for the first six furlongs and that was two seconds quicker than a horse named Secretariat, who was on the way to breaking the track record.

Now, he may have felt he had to pull the trigger early to get around the other two horses, but it seems to me that getting out there too quickly cost him any chance of winning the race without Street Sense and Curlin' both falling down on the stretch.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I love Jones. I respect Pino, especially when he's operating in the Maryland/Delaware area.
    But that wasn't a good ride, and I'm pretty sure he knows it. Early hints are that they'll go to New York for a race which has eaten up speed horses handled by trainers loyal to secondary-circuit riders.
    His speed makes him dangerous, but he's got to be rated properly.

Draft saved Draft deleted