1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pre-Season NFL Talk, Take 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I started up the conversation with this...

And then Gutter hit the wrong button and poof, it's gone. But it's one of the most interesting dramas in the league right now. So here it goes.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I really hope Rex and Woody are right. I don't care how good he is, he has a contract. Go ahead and lose a season of your career. And who knows how good you'll be after that?

I'm not against a guy getting a new contract when he's outperformed his current deal, and clearly Revis has outperformed his deal. But he also has to realize that he still has three years left on the current deal. That has to be part of the negotiations. Instead, he wants it all and he wants it all now.

Fine. Enjoy looking for a job in the real world. They're pretty hard to come by right about now. And they don't pay nearly as well as what he's passing up.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yawn. This whole thing is staged for the HBO cameras.

He'll sign during the last episode and will be on the field for the first regular season game.

4. Flying Headbutt

I'd agree even a smidgen with you once teams start abiding by the contracts they give to players. Instead the minute a team's season ends all you hear about is the guys who will be released at a certain date because they have two years and however many millions left on the deal.

NFL contracts, being non-guaranteed, are among the biggest frauds in life. Players are supposed to abide by what they signed no matter how underpaid they are, but the minute a team thinks you're overpaid or just doesn't want to pay you or can't fit you under the salary cap, it's sayonara. In a sport as violent and responsible for that many injuries, I absolutely agree Revis should get what he can now, and make the Jets piss their season away if they're not willing to pay it.

5. That may be true, but I have a hard time finding sympathy for Revis.
    The flip side is just a true - esp. ion Revis' case - player has a good to great year has a multi-year contract and wants more money. NOW. And they have no problem talking about it.

6. Is it too early to Steelersjack this?

7. Nope, go right ahead.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Right. But there's gotta be a happy medium, too. It's not like the Jets are telling him he must play out his current deal. They seem willing to give him a substantial raise, but Revis wants to be the highest paid CB in the league. Dude needs to slow his roll.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, he is the best cornerback in the league. And that raise may be substantial, but it isn't close to fair value for a player of his ability. Of course, now I keep hearing Jets fans bitch about Sean Gilbert, Revis's uncle, who once held out an entire season. The Jets are certainly doing a good job of making Revis out to be the bad guy and adding Gilbert to the list of scapegoats.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/08/rex-ryan-acknowledges-that-sea.html

That's all fine and good, but it won't help when the games start and the Jets' defense is a lot weaker than it was a season ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

He very well might be the best CB in the league. And if he were a free agent, he could command -- and get-- the richest contract ever for a CB. But he's not. He's under contract. So you have to find a happy medium. The Jets are willing to find it. Revis isn't.

We all know Revis wants $15 mil a year, right? Does anyone know what the Jets are offering? Cause I may very well be talking out of my ass.

11. Flying Headbutt

There's no salary cap this year. The Jets can afford it all. I gurantee you if the Jets fall to 0-2 and get torched by Joe Flacco and Tom Brady in the process they'll be paying up. Especially since Brandon Marshall comes up in week 3. The same Marshall who roasted Cromartie for new records not that long ago.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think it has been reported, which is one more way the Jets are making sure to put the blame on Revis.

Sorry, but with no guaranteed contracts, I have no problem with players holding out. Basically, everybody is year-to-year if the team wants it that way.

The Jets aren't looking for a happy medium here. In fact, due to some of the rules in place, it is very difficult for them to give Revis that kind of money. I honestly don't understand how that all works, but there are limits to how much of a raise they can give him.

That said, if I'm a player who is clearly underpaid by his current contract with a New York team moving into a new stadium in an uncapped year I'm expecting to get paid and I want it now. And if the Jets start struggling on defense because he isn't there, the fans are going to turn on the team very quickly.

The Jets are doing a nice job of selling Cromartie, but he really isn't that good. What he does well is make big plays, which would make him a great fit opposite a shutdown corner like Revis. Not so much if he has to be the team's No. 1.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted