1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayers needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Feb 3, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Not trying to be an attention whore, here, but I'm going to need some prayers over the next three weeks.

This evening, I report for the most intense, physically and mentally challenging and demanding training I have ever received -- or ever will receive, for that matter.

It's the Army's ground and water survival school. S.E.R.E., or Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape, is designed for those at high risk of capture by the enemy. Special operators, Rangers and aviators (my category) attend the three-week school that has three basic phases: a classroom phase where you learn basically what you can and can't eat, how to build structures, cross lakes with gear and other fieldcraft; a full-on evasion (evading cadre) in which students are dropped off with nothing but a survival kit and have to make their way to a designated rescue point; and a practical interrogation/pow camp exercise that lasts several days.

The second and third phases are obviously the hard ones. Long days with nothing to eat except what you can find, "uncomfortable living conditions," interrogation, all that kind of crap. Not going to be a fun week, there.

Everyone I've talked to says it's, by far, the hardest and best training they've ever gotten and are both glad to have gone and glad it's over, at the same time.

Mrs. tbf is used to me being away all the time, but with the new baby, it's going to be much tougher on both of us. At least she'll have company while I'm gone, though.

Please remember me and my family over the next 21 days. It won't be an easy time for any of us.

2. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Wow, sounds like a reality show... best of luck to you. Definitely report back on how it goes.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You could go through all that superfluous training or become a Marine! ;)
    Be good, be strong.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Quite a boring month for you. What do you do for excitement?

5. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Good item to read for those who are whining about tough deadlines to release Super Bowl pages.

6. Be strong, 3bags. Be well.
    (SERE is no bullshit. It's the training that the CIA guys reverse-engineered to developed their new "enhanced interrogation" techniques.)

7. three_bags_full

It's been around for a while, based (from what I gather) mostly upon the experiences of Nick Rowe and a few others who suffered long imprisonments during Vietnam.

I'd be willing to bet there's some science involved. I remember reading a while back something about the techniques used at the SERE school being used at Gitmo.

8. three_bags_full

Moderately expensive Bourbon.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

three_bags, I appreciate your service. best to your family, and strength to you.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good luck 3 B's. If you want to read a great book on subject read Bravo Two Zero by Andy Mcnabb.

Bring some good recipes back for us .

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Good luck TBF

12. three_bags_full

Three acorns
    Two grasshoppers
    1 canteen pond water

Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 10 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted