1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pray for Bill Jauss

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ben_Hecht, Jun 30, 2012.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Typical SOTV.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Loopy and The Dwarf should move to Nepal, in shame.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why they gotta have a reason? Can't they just go?

4. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

A few years back Northern Illinois had a spot in the press box for him and his wife. It was a classy move by them for a classy man. I know that arrangement might strike some as odd or somehow improprietous, but if you met Bill Jauss you'd never have such a thought.

5. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Boy does that bring up some great college days memories. Thanks. The wafting smoke and Chi-Town drawl always had me mesmerized, and watching that, they still do.

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Sad to hear.

We crossed paths a few times when I was in college at the student paper and he couldn't have been nicer.

A couple of years later I pull into the parking lot for a Northern Illinois football game and Bill's getting out -- a car you would expect him to be driving, beat to hell and looking like he kissed the wall on the Eisenhower -- and remembered me even though we hadn't shared a press box in a while.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I hope for the best for him. First-class guy, and a writer whose byline I read in the Tribune for many years.

Our paths actually crossed early in my career, when he came over for an Iowa-Northwestern football game, and unlike some of the older Iowa beat writers, he treated me like a veteran and had a few good stories to share.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The parenthetical argument about whether to use 'a' or 'an' in front of a word starting in H was wonderful.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's a shame there isn't more of this on Youtube. I remember them having Billy Corrigan on multiple times talking sports. Just wonderful stuff.

10. Jauss and "The Sportwriters" -- the earlier one before Telander -- was the greatest show on television. I was, fortunately, living in the Chicago area and could pick up the program easily.

Some of the programs are on YouTube, but stray from the programs with Telander. He's a great writer and reporter and seemingly a good guy, but get out of the way. Let Gleeson and Jauss and Ben Bentley share the spotlight.

I know that Telander has been good to Jauss, but he looks like a gol' darn insurance salesman in that program. Crusty drives that train.

Our best thoughts for Bill Jauss, a Chicago great!

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hmm. I thought Telander gave that show an extra layer. In fact, I became a fan of his writing after seeing him on there.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Rick was great on that show.

Draft saved Draft deleted