1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pray for Bill Jauss

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ben_Hecht, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Multiple sources hint that the end may be near . . .

We remember all the good . . . but sad, sad, sad.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Might want to post this in Journalism Topics, as well? I think some people who would be interested routinely only check that board.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Mods are free to transfer it, as their judgment dictates.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, sorry. I wasn't trying to be difficult or talk out of school or anything.

In a business where people can be awfully miserable, I never saw Jauss one time not look like he wasn't having the time of his life doing this job.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Haven't seen him in years (geographic issues), but knew him, and the guy was always an absolute prince to me.

6. Best wishes to him and his family and I hope for the best.

As a kid, I watched Bill every week on the "Sportswriters on TV" on Channel 32 in Chicago.

I grew up wanting to be a sportswriter partly because of that show.

I met Mr. Jauss many years later during a NCAA first-round women's basketball game at Purdue. The guy was an absolute gentleman and just as nice as he was on TV. He had no reason to pay any attention to me, a college kid covering his first real tourney game. But he was helpful, friendly and a professional.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is sad. Even when he was arguing with Telander or Gleason, he seemed to have a smile on his face.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

hope his suffering is minimal. by far the best of the sportswriter shows. wish it would be recirculated via reruns so youngin's could see how truly entertaining, smart and snarkless some of us can be.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

There's a smoke-filled room with plenty of happy sports talk awaiting him. I pray he doesn't suffer much.

And yes, the lack of snark in SOTV could be a resounding lesson. A weekly example in how to debate without lowering yourself to ripping the other guy apart.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

in fairness, i suppose today's screaming lamebrains are giving today's tv producers what they want to entertain a severely dumb-downed audience.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, I know they are, shock. Point is, we're all the lesser for that being the mindset.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Had the pleasure of meeting him in the Windy City when on hand at a Cavaliers-Bulls playoff series in the Jordan Era and he was a true gentlemen.

God Bless.

Draft saved Draft deleted