1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Praise Jeebus!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Feb 6, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'd agree, but they aren't making the claim in the moral arena. They're making it in the scientific one -- the one where the differences are quite clear. You only have to witness the sheer dumbassery of the fight against the morning-after pill to see this clearly. Or, even better, check out the ridiculous attempts to show that condoms don't work, using deliberately flawed studies.

As I said in my previous post.

They do this because they like the numbers of Americans opposed to abortion better than they like the numbers of Americans opposed to birth control. Unfortunately for them, not many Americans believe they are the same thing morally, and no respected MD thinks they are the same thing medically.

I think we agree more than we disagree, we're just getting hung up on the vernacular. I have no problem with someone who says that they think the two acts are morally equivalent -- I disagree, but as you have said, I likely won't convince them otherwise.

I do have a problem when those same people try to use junk science in an attempt to blur the scientific distinction. Which is, as I have said, clear and not really up for debate.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Most people -- certainly anyone with whom it would worth having such a discussion -- can discern the difference between abortion and contraception.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is one is murder and one is conspiracy to commit murder?

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Thanks, JR, for the Pepsi sprayed across my terminal. A quite literal spit-take. Well done.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, if you want to jump from medical terminology to legal ...

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, I'm glad SOMEONE appreciates me. :)

I mean, you could take this whole incident and turn it into a Monty Python skit. The article made me laugh out loud.

"These people CAN'T be serious, can they?

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The words "Pastor Ted" are enough to make me laugh.

8. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Ralph said the board spoke with people close to Haggard while investigating his claim that his only extramarital sexual contact happened with Mike Jones. The board found no evidence to the contrary.

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

=

????????????????

9. The people who conflate abortion and birth control have one thing in mind and one thing only -- to roll back a woman's right to her own body and a superstitious distrust of female sexuality. Everything else is Bible-scented filigree.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I never understood people that were against abortion and against giving out condoms at school. Make up your mind!

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'd just be happy if I weren't told that I hate women if I mention that I think abortion is murder. Seriously, I know all about the shittank that public discourse lives in today, but c'mon. Saying pro-lifers want to keep women in chains is like saying pro-choicers masturbate to dead babies.

Draft saved Draft deleted